Author Topic: Ditch Itunes once Musicbee has synced to my android?  (Read 3082 times)

simplysounds

Hi, very new to musicbee (after isyncr ownership changed and updates became unusable). After a bit of a learning curve i'm now syncing my 15k songs and my 280 playlists from itunes to my android phone.

My question is...can i uninstall and ditch itunes and just use musicbee as my default music organiser and syncing tool? Historically i've been using itunes since i had an iphone but switched to android many years ago.
Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 02:39:15 PM by simplysounds

boroda

yes. but 1st try to successfully migrate your music library from itunes to musicbee.

simplysounds

many thanks, yep i think i've migrated my playlists as i can see them all in the musicbee player?

boroda

not only playlists, your whole library. see: file> library> import> import from itunes. your entire itunes library (except for "auto playlists" or "smart playlists") must be imported.

simplysounds

will do. the only things i have in my itunes folders are playlists. my music content is stored in a separate folder. i'll follow your advice anyway. many thanks.

boroda

again, not only playlists, but "library" itself (even without music files). though you can add music files to mb manually, but you will lose all itunes tags, which are stored in itunes database only in that case.

simplysounds

thanks once again, not much of my media is tagged. i only use an old copy of itunes to organize and sync playlists. on a separate note, i noticed it copied artwork over which was ok until all the artwork appeared to be added to my photo gallery. i'm re-syncing without artwork now. would it be better to use the 'embed artwork in the music file'?

boroda

would it be better to use the 'embed artwork in the music file'?
Personally, i prefer to do so. this causes less problems.

simplysounds

i think i'm gonna give up on musicbee. everytime i try to sync it fails. i've even tried syncing directly to the sd card. maybe it's because i'm syncing 14500 files amongst 250 playlists.

boroda

are you syncing via usb or wifi? usb syncing shouldn't cause any problems, while wifi syncing with android >= 10 may be not trivial (due to new storage access restrictions).

simplysounds

tried via usb but fails towards the end

wifi doesn't work as it asks for root folder. all permissions granted etc. i select music folder but it won't write to and unable to select root of sd

fails also direct to sd card (setup as a device)

after 4 days of trying i'm giving up

boroda

you could try this plugin to sync musicbee with any android smartphone via wifi. it's working fine for me on android 12.

simplysounds

many thanks. i downloaded it and added it to the plugins on musicbee. it now see's sync lnks as a device. is there any way to get it to copy to the phones sd card or do you know what storage it copies to? as you can probably tell i'm not too familiar with this type of platform.

so far (not using sync links) i've managed to copy over a handful of my playlists via usb as a test. do you know if mb keeps synced playlists and media content on the device if they are not selected to sync at a later date?

many thanks, appreciate the assistance

boroda

i haven't tried myself this plugin with 'cheetah sync', can't advise how to set up it, but if you have chosen 'resilio sync': 1st create somewhere (i've created inside 'music' folder) folder to keep links to music files, e.g. 'sync links', and set up plugin to use this folder. then open resilio sync on pc, and add 'sync links' folder to this app, click 'share' near the folder name, 'qr-code' tab, 'read and write' permission. open resilio sync on your phone, choose 'folders', tap '+' to add new folder. tap 'scan qr-code'. choose android folder to store synced files (i don't have sd card and don't know if it's allowed to choose sd card in resilio sync). disable 'selective sync', tap 'settings', disable 'use archive'. resilio sync on pc must be autostarted, but you must manually start it by default on your phone if you want to sync files, and i recommend keeping this default behavior.

p.s. by default plugin creates playlists on the phone with relative paths to music files, this should work fine.

p.p.s. you need android music played, which is capable either to add any folder containing music and playlists manually, or to auto-scan all folders on the phone. i'm using jetaudio+, it automatically finds all music and playlists on internal storage (i don't know if it can find music on sd card), and it perfectly reads .m3u playlists generated by 'sync links' plugin.

simplysounds

I think i might have solved it. Looks like i got a fake 512gb micro sd card from amazon. I manually copied all my media to another sd card (just copied without using mb) and then synced the playlists over using mb. so far it looks like it's worked. i still cant sync over wifi using mb. i direct it to the music folder where all media and playlists are and it advises it can't use this folder and wants the root folder?