Author Topic: Can I get this simple file-explorer type folder view layout?  (Read 341 times)

geodeo5

Hi guys, I have been using Winamp for the past 20+ years and am new to MusicBee. Question please :

The attached screenshots show my very simple "file explorer" - type view that am using with Winamp (Dynamic Library plugin) & ClassicPro skin.

- As you can see there is no album art but on the left pane it shows my music folders exactly how I have them named & sorted on my hard drive
- And on the right pane are the tracks that are in those folders when they are clicked open in the left pane. Hence I guess it's exactly like a file explorer.
- So the left side shows all the folders & the right sides shows all the tracks; so simple and nice (for me)

So I have been trying to get something at least close to this view using MusicBee but wow, I have not been having much success because darn it I am getting old and just can't figure this stuff out so easy anymore  :(  Please I am begging you to 1) let me know if something at least close to this view is possible with MusicBee and 2) how to do it?

Thank you kindly

karbock

Hello geodo5, and welcome.

Yes, it's possible, since MB is highly configurable.

1st PHASE: select the panes to display.

* Open a new tab (+).
* Go to MusicBee menu -> View -> Arrange Panels...
For each screen pane, you can remove unwanted elements by unticking them, or adding others by drag-and-drop from the list on the right side.
* In 'left sidebar', keep 'folder browser'.
* In 'main panel', keep only 'files'.
* Remove all the elements present in 'left main panel' and 'right main panel'.

2nd PHASE: adjust the pane contents

* In the left window pane, open any music folder.
* In the right pane, right-click on the header and select 'Tracks' view.
* Right-click anywhere on the column headers and select 'Set Displayed Fields...'.
* You can then keep only Filename, Artist, and Bitrate.

As you have already noticed, there are a lot of possibilities...
Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:22:27 PM by karbock

geodeo5

Thanks karbock for your kind reply. I am following your instructions and yes I can see I am getting closer to the view I wish to achieve but whenever I close the MusicBee app and then restart my custom tab is gone even though I pinned my custom tab & also selected full navigation lock  :-(  I even went into preferences and clicked SAVE but when I reopen MusicBee after closing it my custom tab is GONE!

EDIT : This turned out to be a bug in portable 3.4 so if anyone else is reading this you need to upgrade to 3.5 (thanks steven)
Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:38:00 PM by geodeo5