Author Topic: Forward button behaviour when editing track number  (Read 251 times)

FusionFist

Firstly I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I am trying to understand the behaviour of the forward and back buttons while editing/changing track information manually. I am adding some cassette audio and importing to MusicBee where they are just labelled by the track name and load as an album with the track titles sorted alphabetically and no metadata. Let's say my 4 tracks are labelled Track A, Track B, Track C, Track D, I edit Track A and type the number '1' in the track number box and then press the right arrow to save and move on to edit the next track. Now several things happen at this moment visually. In the library view my Track A resorts itself to the bottom of the album with the track number 1. Track B is now at the top, but Track C is currently highlighted. In the edit view Track B is loaded as expected so I enter '2' into track number and press the right arrow key again. This time in the library I see Track B moves below Track A with its correct track number 2 but now Track A is highlighted again. In the Edit screen it has loaded in Track D and not Track C as logically expected. I've tried to visually explain this in the image below of the 3 screen captures.

My usage case is that for albums without track metadata like this, I like to enter the track number, press right key, enter next sequential track number, rinse and repeat. I believe this behaviour has been the same across versions for as long as I can remember and assumed it was a limitation, but I just got around to addressing this bugbear in case there is a fix. It's by no means a dealbreaker as I find this software outstanding in comparison to others out there. If anyone has any input on this behaviour it would be greatly appreciated.

Axxonn

To solve your situation without quite being able to explain it, if you go to the main Musicbee dropdown in the top left, Tools, Tagging Tools, Renumber Tracks, you can number the whole lot in one hit, including with multiple discs or albums. You can also set up a hotkey for that to speed things up.

At a guess, if you think of unnumbered tracks as being 0, when you do number one of them the order would become 0001 and send it to them bottom, now being the largest. And at an even wilder guess, does the tag editor think you're 'forwarding' from position 1 to position 2, then 2 to 3, with no regard for actual tags? When I have edited some tracks manually, I find working backwards is a bit more reliable, as you're moving backwards into the 'static' order you have before. It does seem a bit bizarre sometimes I agree, but it should only have to be done once.

FusionFist

Ah after all this time, I've never explored that tools menu! What you say makes sense, I'll attempt it next time I have the need.