Author Topic: USB stream  (Read 566 times)

Keith B

Hello. My first post.
I have been using Music bee for years.
I recently changed how I listen to my music and it's not working out for me sound quality wise.
I used to use dac to dac from my PC to amplifier.
I now use USB1 from pc to the dac in the Amplifier.
My amp is the Cambridge audio CXA60
I use the Cambridge audio driver.
On playing music the sound seems to start of ok, but it deteriorates as listening time moves on.
Recommendations please.
Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:39:13 PM by Keith B

hiccup

Welcome to the forum Keith B.

I must say the information on Cambridge Audio's webpages seems quite incomplete and somewhat confusing.
The product page of your amp shows no downloads for USB drivers at all.
Then there is a page that lists models that you can download drivers for, but yours isn't on it:
https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200998441-Which-driver-do-I-need-for-USB-Audio-Class-2-on-Windows-
Then on one (easy to find) page they have a download for a version 1.67, but after some searching you will also find a page that has 5.27

Some tips:
- remove all Cambridge Audio drivers from your system. (make sure they are actually deleted, so they won't be reinstalled after a restart)
- if you are using Windows 10, let Windows search and install possible drivers automatically. It should support USB class 2 which is probably all that you need.
- switch usb ports and/or usb cables to see if that improves things. (how long is your cable?)
- don't use a usb hub for your dac.

If that all doesn't help, perhaps post a screenshot of your MusicBee settings: Preferences > Player > Audio player.

edit:
The manual of your CXA60 says that it does not support being used as a DAC over USB.
Only the CXA80 has that.
Did you make a typo on your model?
Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 07:38:29 PM by hiccup

Keith B

Silly me. I have the CXA61.  :-[
Quote. DAC for digital
Featuring a built-in, reference standard ESS Sabre ES9010K2M DAC, the CXA61 works wonders with your digital audio and video sources. With two optical digital inputs and one coaxial, you can connect up to three digital sources, such as a games console, TV and a CD transport – the Cambridge Audio CXC makes the perfect match.

I have made some adjustments to settings like load entire file to memory and set the output to 96K this has altered the sound for the better and I am still evaluating it. If you have any suggestions, please do.

hiccup

Ok, so you need Cambridge Audio drivers v.5.27.0

Have you digested (and tested) the suggestions I made in my previous post?
For now I don't have many other ones.

Can you describe how the actual problem sounds and when it occurs?

Keith B

I have solved it.
I had windows set for desk top speakers and not full size.
How this makes difference I do not know. But in this case with the CXA61 it matters.