Author Topic: Soundfont as a virtual tag  (Read 399 times)

MakVa

I'd like to have something like "Artist - Song (Soundfont)" but I don't know if I can do anything like that.

Is it possible to have a soundfont name as a virtual tag or something that can make it visible when using DiscordBee?
Thanks.

karbock

According to DiscordBee's presentation on GitHub, the plugin can use any standard / custom / virtual tag defined for the current track. In what follows, I suppose that you do not play your MIDI files directly with MusicBee, but have already converted them to .MP3 files (or similar) instead.

A virtual tag is computed from other tags, with functions such as substrings, concatenations, regular expressions, conditional values... It is evaluated each time it is displayed.

Whereas a custom tag is stored either in the music file itself or in the library. It is shown just as it is stored (no computation).

The question is: for each audio file, what can the soundfont name be inferred from?

You can write a virtual tag if :
* the soundfont name is shown in the audio track filename or in any of its tags (such as Comment)
* the soundfont name is surrounded by standard delimiters (e.g. square brackets)

Otherwise, you could add to your MP3 files a custom tag dedicated to the soundfont name, and populate it.

MakVa

According to DiscordBee's presentation on GitHub, the plugin can use any standard / custom / virtual tag defined for the current track. In what follows, I suppose that you do not play your MIDI files directly with MusicBee, but have already converted them to .MP3 files (or similar) instead.

You can write a virtual tag if :
* the soundfont name is shown in the audio track filename or in any of its tags (such as Comment)
* the soundfont name is surrounded by standard delimiters (e.g. square brackets)

Otherwise, you could add to your MP3 files a custom tag dedicated to the soundfont name, and populate it.

I do play midi files directly in MusicBee and often play the same song with multiple soundfonts.

I've manually recorded a few of the songs in MP3 format but doing that for all of them would be less accessible and occupy a lot of space in the disk & library, hence why it would be better if the plugin (soundfont) could be used as a value, if it's even possible.

karbock

Hence, in the present state of MusicBee and DiscordBee, the soundbank name cannot be referred to.

MakVa