Author Topic: Single item, multiple start/end times?  (Read 332 times)

MusicBebe

I have a file that contains two individual songs. I would like to treat each of these songs as individual items in a playlist. But I'd prefer not to do this by splitting the actual audio file into two new files, or by duplicating the current file and creating a new library item. 

I duplicated the item in the playlist, and I intended to give each of them the appropriate start and end time in properties so that I would have virtually performed to the split. But, as expected really, when I changed a property of one of them, it changed it for the other.

Is there a way around that? Like a way of aliasing a library item, so it references the same source file but has its own seondary properties? Or some other way of doing what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
I duplicated the item in the playlist, and I intended to give each of them the appropriate start and end time in properties so that I would have virtually performed to the split. But, as expected really, when I changed a property of one of them, it changed it for the other.
This is happening because there is still only one file. A playlist is nothing more than a text file which points to the location of the music file. So when you "think" your are editing the one "in your playlist" you are actually editing the one in your library.

I think the only way to accomplish what you're looking for is to use an audio file splitter and create two files.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

There might be a way using a cue file, but I don't know enough about cue files to know for sure that there is or how to do it.  Something to investigate at least.

vincent kars

frankz is correct. make a cue sheet.
In fact some people rip their CD's to single file + cue sheet. Plays always gapless...

A cue sheet describes  the individual tracks in a single file.
Musicbee is perfectly able to handle this.
Using any text editor you can create one.
Make sure it is in the same directory as the audio file.

https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/CueSheet.htm