Author Topic: Why is MusicBee prompting for permanent deletion when I click delete?  (Read 562 times)

whock

When I click delete (without Shift), it prompts me for permanent deletion. I don't want to delete a file permanently, I just want to remove it from MusicBee library. It seems like a new update caused this.

sveakul

You get the choice to "Delete from Library Only" at the same time the choice to delete from both library and computer is offered--are you not seeing that?

whock

You get the choice to "Delete from Library Only" at the same time the choice to delete from both library and computer is offered--are you not seeing that?

I don't see that. It shows a confirmation box with the words "Permanently delete '[ARTIST - SONG]' [.mp3]"

phred

• Global Moderator
Where are you clicking 'delete'?
What view are you using?
Is the track/album in a playlist or only in the library?
A screenshot might be helpful here.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

whock

Where are you clicking 'delete'?
What view are you using?
Is the track/album in a playlist or only in the library?
A screenshot might be helpful here.
It's in the main Library.

This box shows up when I click just Delete on the keyboard, Shift is not clicked.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the screenshot.

I enabled my track details view, left-clicked on a track and press the delete key. This is what you should be seeing:

I've found the issue. The tracks that you are deleting are not in your library. I just tested with a track that's on my PC, but not in my library and here it is:

As a proof of concept, right-click on a track that gives you the "permanently delete" message and click on "Send to." I'm betting that "Music Library" will be there and will -not- be grayed-out. If it were grayed-out, it would indicate the track was in the library. Not grayed-out indicates the file is in your Inbox. Or somewhere else on your PC.
Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 02:37:58 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

whock

Thanks for the screenshot.

I enabled my track details view, left-clicked on a track and press the delete key. This is what you should be seeing:

I've found the issue. The tracks that you are deleting are not in your library. I just tested with a track that's on my PC, but not in my library and here it is:

As a proof of concept, right-click on a track that gives you the "permanently delete" message and click on "Send to." I'm betting that "Music Library" will be there and will -not- be grayed-out. If it were grayed-out, it would indicate the track was in the library. Not grayed-out indicates the file is in your Inbox. Or somewhere else on your PC.

The Music Library option in Send To is greyed out for me. I deleted the library, created a new one and re-added the folder into MusicBee but still the same. It still shows 'Permanently delete'.

The entire drive containing the directory folder and its files have read permission only and not write/delete permission. Could that be relevant to this?

whock

I found the issue.

When I left-click on the tab header "Tracks", the left sidebar opens. There are multiple sources to play from, such as Music, Podcasts, History, Music Explorer, Playlists, Services and Computer.

When I try to delete from Computer, permanent deletion confirmation is shown, whereas when I do it from Music, I get the multiple options (delete from library and computer or only library).

So apparently, I have been using the Computer view for a while.

phred

• Global Moderator
Glad to hear you figured it out.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki