Author Topic: Dealing with 1 track albums…  (Read 718 times)

Mr. Trev

This has been an long time "issue" for me. I have many albums the are just 1 long track. Apparently MB doesn't seem to acknowledge them very well. For example, I just clicked on one of these albums to use the artist thumb manager and MB pulled up all of the artists in my library, not just the one I selected (I only have the 1 single track album by this particular artist).
I know this isn't a bug (I chatted with Steven about 1 track albums ages ago - different issue then, I can't remember what is was), and was wondering if this a enough of an issue for the rest of you to bother making a wish request, or if there's a workaround I'm missing

Steven

• Administrator
For example, I just clicked on one of these albums to use the artist thumb manager and MB pulled up all of the artists in my library, not just the one I selected (I only have the 1 single track album by this particular artist).
can you explain that in more detail - a screenshot would provide context

Tybot

Not an expert on this as I've never used the artist thumb manager, but, as far as I can tell, it's like this:

When you go to tools and click on the artist thumb manager, it will process all the files that are displayed in your current view and NOT the ones you have selected. it's view based and not selection based. If you do a search that's specific enough to only produce one single album as a result and then click on tools/thumb manager again, it will display the missing artist picture/album cover for just that album.

Mr. Trev

Thinking back, I think the previous issue I mentioned was the fact that when I selected a single track album it wouldn't show the relevant info in the status bar at the bottom of the window - it would just continue to show the status for the entire library as if the album wasn't selected. That "problem" has been fixed somewhere along the lines, but there are still quirks when dealing with single track albums (another being "Auto-tag by album" getting greyed out)

Tybot

(another being "Auto-tag by album" getting greyed out)

When you say "greyed out" I'm assuming you mean the entry in the right click menu? If that's the case, then you've got an issue somewhere on your end. I just tried it with a single track album and it opens the Album Auto-Tagger as expected. It doesn't find any matches for this specific album but that's a tag issue on my end.

I did notice you're using the Album Cover view while I'm using the Album and Tracks view, in case you want to do some more troubleshooting. Not that that should matter, but it might be worth trying.

Mr. Trev

Yup. right click menu. The hot key for auto tag still works, so I've been trying to train my brain to use that instead (old habits).
I haven't bothered with troubleshooting different views… not that big of an issue for me considering the hot key solution

Tybot

I do agree with you that that's a bit weird, not sure yet why it would do that.

This might not be relevant to your original post, but I did find this interesting and I've never noticed it before.

When I'm using the Album and Tracks view and click on the artwork, MB selects all the files on that album. If I then right click, the option to "Auto-Tag by track" is visible in the right click menu.

However, when I'm using the Album Cover view and repeat the same process as described above, "Auto-Tag by track" is no longer available/visible in the right click menu. Still, if I choose the Edit option in the right click menu, all the files of that album will be edited which of course means that all the tracks are selected as expected. Basically, right clicking on the artwork in the Album Cover view produces a right click menu that differs from the one in the Album and Tracks view.

As mentioned, this probably doesn't have anything to do with your issue. Just putting it out there that there might be some behavior discrepancies between the different view options.

Mr. Trev

Actually, I'm using Artist view, not Cover, but the results are the same

Actually, it's funny you brought this up. I typically do all my tagging in the inbox where I use album & tracks, so I've never really noticed this before. Going further, I see that if there is only 1 album for an artist and I right click it, auto-tag will be greyed out. If there is more than 1 album for the artist and I right click one then auto-tag will be available.

I don't know if Steven is still following this thread, but this does seem to be buggy behaviour to me and perhaps should be moved to bug reports

Steven

• Administrator
its intentional that when only 1 track is selected then all displayed files are used for certain operations

Mr. Trev

its intentional that when only 1 track is selected then all displayed files are used for certain operations

Can I ask why?
(just trying to understand. it doesn't make sense to me ATM why it does this)