Author Topic: Merging two playlist into one, alternating one song from each the whole way  (Read 3575 times)

Ciceron14

Hello,
New to MusicBee, trying to see if there's a way with the app's tools to make this happen when merging two playlists
- Playlist P1 has x tracks
- Playlist P2 also has x tracks

I'm looking to get a Master playlist combining the two into a 2x sized playlist that alternates songs from each base playlist.
The final playlist would look like so:
1. Unique P1 song
2. Unique P2 song
3.Unique  P1 song
[...]
2x-2. Unique P2 song
2x-1. Unique P1 song
2x. Unique P2 song

Is this possible with MusicBee?

Thanks and apologies if the answer is obvious, I messed around in the software a bit and looked in the forum / google and didn't find anything.

Zak

• Global Moderator
You can do this with a Playlist Mixer, which is one of the options on offer when you create a new playlist.
Add each of your playlists under the Track selection criteria and set it to select 1 track from each:

When you select the mixed playlist MusicBee will only show one track from each playlist, but the key point is that on completion the cycle is repeated.
Which means after it has played one track from each of the original playlists, it will keep populating the Playing Tracks list with new ones.

I notice that each time I select the mixed playlist it shows a new pair of tracks. It seems that each time you play it, it starts from where it ended the previous time. Not sure if this is intentional or even desired.
Bee excellent to each other...

Ciceron14

Thank you for the answer!
Did not realize that it would keep using the mixing logic if I kept playing, that's interesting! This gets me pretty close to what I was trying to get.
Unfortunately, it seems that this way doesn't keep track of the tracks that have been used already: I've tried it just now and hve seen a good amount of repeats from both playlists.