Author Topic: Combining two panel elements into one  (Read 1995 times)

Tybot

Just wanted to see if there's any support behind combining two panel elements into one, namely "artist picture" and "artist biography". I'm aware that people are using these two separately as well so what I'm proposing is essentially adding a new additional panel element that consist of these two existing ones.

My motivation for this suggestion is that I'd like to use a total of 4 elements in the right sidebar (artist+bio, playing tracks, lyrics, details) and I'd like to give them all as much vertical space as possible when displaying them as tabs.

As a non-programmer, the main issue I see with this is that it adds yet another element to the available elements list which might make it look cluttered. It also doesn't provide any real functionality other than making MB even more customizable - not a small thing in my mind but maybe not prioritized.

Thoughts?

phred

• Global Moderator
Why not add them both to the same panel and stack them? Then you'll wind up with a tab for each in the same panel.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Tybot

Which would result in 5 tabs in total, using my example above, if I understand you correctly?

It's mainly a question of wasted space. The artist picture is a square so that tab would have a lot of dead space beneath it. My layout looks like this currently:

Main issue here is that the playing tracks panel element is a lot smaller than I would like. I also like the idea of displaying the picture and the bio in the same panel as I feel they kind of belong together, and doing that without having to switch tabs would be really nice.

phred

• Global Moderator
Which would result in 5 tabs in total, using my example above, if I understand you correctly?
Well yes, you'd have five tabs, but two of them would be "sharing" the same space.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

The Incredible Boom Boom

While the Now Playing bar is not the same as the Track Information panel, it does have the capability of displaying both the artist photo and biography.

Tybot

Well yes, you'd have five tabs, but two of them would be "sharing" the same space.

Wouldn't that still splice the vertical space available for the other tabs (tracks, lyrics, details) in half, though? Just so we're on the same page, what I'm asking for in this suggestion is not currently possible exactly the way I want to? I've messed around with the panels quite a lot and I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

While the Now Playing bar is not the same as the Track Information panel, it does have the capability of displaying both the artist photo and biography.

I don't have a Now Playing tab currently as I only use that view in full screen. What you're saying is how I have the screen setup currently but that's mainly useful for listening and I tend to listen while I add to and organize my collection so it's still an either or.

(Yes, I know I sound whiny and OCD, apologies)

The Incredible Boom Boom

I don't have a Now Playing tab currently as I only use that view in full screen. What you're saying is how I have the screen setup currently but that's mainly useful for listening and I tend to listen while I add to and organize my collection so it's still an either or.

The Now Playing bar is different from the Now Playing panel.

Tybot

The Now Playing bar is different from the Now Playing panel.

Yeah, I misunderstood you there. I get what you're saying and that does work as a workaround to my suggestion.