Author Topic: Using the InternalCache for another installation  (Read 782 times)

TradeWind

Hello all,

I'm trying to use my large AppData/Local ... InternalCache for another installation too but unfortunately the picture thumbs etc. don't load there.

Is there a way to 'force' the new installation to load the copied cache?

Thanks
Rainer

karbock

Hello Rainer,

Are you trying to migrate the artist artworks?

I regularly synchronise two MB installs on different computers, without a hitch. So I'm trying to guess what the problem might be, since two small tests in my version (portable, latest 3.5 build) give correct results.

FYI, the artist artworks are stored in two folders:
Folder nr. 1 = Artist artwork, original (JPG files), contained in a path ending with: Artist Pictures\Thumb (*)
Folder nr. 2 = Artist artwork, thumbs (PNG files), in a path ending with: InternalCache\ArtistThumbs (*)
All the .PNG files in nr. 2 are generated by MusicBee from the .JPG in nr. 1.

(*) See this post for the correct locations in the installed vs. portable version:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36875.0

Try the following:
* Check if the folder path for your .PNG files is correct.
* Migrate the .JPG files, too.
* Check if your configuration points to the correct .JPG location,
   in Preferences->Tags(1)->artwork->artist pictures location
   (must be the path of folder nr. 2 without "\Thumb" at the end)
* Perform the refresh action referenced in Preferences->Hotkeys->General: Refresh ([F5] in my configuration) when, say, the active selection is on the concerned artist in some panel.

Should nothing above do the trick, it would remain a riddle to me...

Just in case: migrating the portable version is much easier than with the installed version, since with the portable you just have to copy ONE folder tree. But be strict: a mere extra space in any folder name and its content won't be found.

These are the small tests I carried out in my version:
(a) * closing MB
      * removing the .JPG file for some artist but changing the .PNG file
      * reopening MB
(b) * closing MB
      * changing both the .JPG and .PNG file for some artist
      * reopening MB
In both tests, the artist artwork was automatically updated in my version.
Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:11:46 PM by karbock

TradeWind

Karbock,

thanks very much for taking the time and for all the details.

Actually I've got some further questions and I post a picture here for it.

No 2 is what you've explained to me. The artist picture in the explained folders.

Now:  No 1 is the artist bio which is referenced to last.fm BUT I've added quite a lot of infos by pasting them so they are stored in the same location.
No 3 the picture afaik is referenced to Spotify, isn't it? Sometimes there is none. Then I add one by pasting it into the white circle. GREAT feature btw. - These thumbs are in the InternalCache too, I suppose.

No 4 the thumbs come from last.fm when available. If you double click on the white rectagle, the artist window opens and the thumb is added when available. Going back the the previous screen finds the thumb added - must be in a cache as well since you only have to do the procedure once.

Soooo... How can I add all this to another installation without loosing all the added and edited infos and thumbs? I'd like to install this great program to my wife's computer grabbing the same music sources AND having my added stuff.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Rainer

hiccup

Would you want both installs somehow to keep being synchronised, or is it a one-time operation you are looking for?
Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 08:30:11 PM by hiccup

karbock

Karbock,

thanks very much for taking the time and for all the details.

Actually I've got some further questions and I post a picture here for it.

( CRUNCH :) )

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Rainer

You're welcome!

I'm using your numbers below. What I explained in my first post is in fact your No. 3, not No. 2.

* No. 1 (artist bio) is located in:
   - installed v.: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistData
   - portable v.: .\AppData\InternalCache\ArtistData

* No. 2 (artist backdrops = large profile pictures) is located in:
   - installed v.: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistBackdrops
   - portable v.: .\AppData\InternalCache\ArtistBackdrops

* No. 3 (artist artwork)
   see previous post

* No. 4 (similar artists)
   same location as No. 1

I'll add the locations (No.1 and No. 2) to the Tips & Tricks thread 'MusicBee File Paths: Installed vs Portable':
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36875.0

If you want to synchronise/complement your install and your wife's, either frequently or occasionally, I can only recommend that you switch from the installed to the portable version. At the first time, it needs a bit of patience to copy all the files to the correct locations, but afterwards it's a big gain of time.
Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 07:44:01 PM by karbock

TradeWind

Thank you guys for your help.

For now it was a one time operation but I'll keep your advice in mind to maybe switch to the portable version as all files are at one location then. I guess that's the reason for this advice...

I copied all files as suggested and it worked fine!

Subject closed for me - thanks again!

Rainer