Author Topic: Special Characters in Custom Web Links  (Read 714 times)

MusicMee

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
I have been trying to use the <Origin> tag as a "Custom Web Link" without luck. The tag is stored properly in my FLAC file - I am able to read it, display it, update it, cut and paste it into my browser and link to it successfully. However, when I try to use the tag as a Custom Web Link I get an error: "Unable to open web link: <Origin>" and, in the error message, the following changes have been made to the <Origin> tag):
":" is replaced with "%4A" and
"/" is replaced with "%2F"

I have tried to address this with a function:
$Replace($Replace(<Origin>, "%3A", ":"), "%2F", "/")

but end up with the same error. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:39:55 PM by MusicMee

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8924
Is "origin" a custom tag?
What is the web site you're using with the custom link?
Please paste the full web link here so someone can try it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MusicMee

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
Hi phred,

The "Origin" tag is a standard MusicBee tag. It is displayed/editable from the properties tab of the track editor. It is stored as an embed tag: <ORIGIN WEBSITE>, at least on FLAC files.

A sample url that I am able to repo the issue with: https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/revolver-the-beatles/0060254767013

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8924
Thanks for the  additional information. I now see the origin in the Tag Editor only when selecting an album. I've never used it, at to be honest, I have no idea what it's function is.

As for your custom web link, I asked you to paste how your link is set up. I assume you're trying to set up the custom web link from the Internet section under preferences, correct? It should look something like this: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=<Artist>+<Album>

What are you putting in the origin tab.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MusicMee

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
I have tried several variations, as far as setup goes, but my goal is pretty straightforward:

I use the origin tag to track the origin of a track, a link to the album in the Qobuz web store, in this case:
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/revolver-the-beatles/0060254767013

Then I setup the customize web link via the Track Information panel settings (to your point, you can also view/edit the custom web link list via preferences -> Internet):
name="Origin"
web-link=<Origin>

I then check the "show web links:" option for "Origin" on the Track Information panel settings form, save and attempt to open the link from the track information panel.

That's it...

Of note:
- I can see the origin tag in the tag editor when an individual track is selected as well.
- I use the field to help determine the source of a track - Qobuz, HDTracks, whatever... Hopefully, I am using it as intented.
Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:42:22 PM by MusicMee

Mayibongwe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 740
This seems to work for some reason:
(Idk why $Replace isn't doing the job)

Code
$RxReplace($RxReplace(<Origin>,%3A,:),%2F,/)


Mayibongwe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 740
Glad that works. But I think something like this should be handled internally. Hopefully, Steven will come across this thread and decide whether or not these special characters are worth handling within MusicBee itself so that users don't have to do this themselves.

Edit: And if we are lucky, perhaps also get a quick explanation as to why $Replace isn't working there. To my understanding, it should be doing the same job as that $RxReplace.

MusicMee

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
I agree that it would be nice if it was handled internally & that $Replace seems as though it should be able to handle the use case. I was actually surprised the <origin> tag wasn't setup as a web link by default, it seems tailor-made for that purpose. Oh well, I guess that means MusicBee is only 1000x better than all the other music apps out there (rather than 1001x)  ;)