If I'm looking at Sting it should be grouped as an ALBUM.
If I'm looking at the Police like "APPEARS IN ..."
If I understand well what you wish to do, let me just rephrase your question:Assumptions:
* "TRACK 1" contains the following fields:
- ARTIST: Sting; The Police
- ALBUM ARTIST: Sting
- ALBUM: Example
* In the LEFT PANEL, you browse by ARTIST.
* In the MAIN PANEL, you display ALBUM COVERS.Wished result:
* If you select "Sting" in the LEFT PANEL, you will see in the MAIN PANEL a group named "ALBUMS" containing "Example".
* If you select "The Police" in the LEFT PANEL, you will see in the MAIN PANEL a group named "APPEARS IN" containing "Example".
In the current state of MusicBee, it is not possible with virtual tags, since they rely only on field values recorded in the music files themselves, whereas, in order to achieve what you wish, you would need a variable containing the artist currently selected in the LEFT PANEL. To say it with other words: such as variable doesn't exist in MusicBee.