Author Topic: Lyrics data disappears when replacing file/song  (Read 1530 times)

LuvRainDown

Hi guys, i've come across a persistent issue in version 3.5.8447 and in other previous versions that I've been dealing with since 2018.

Whenever I replace an audio file with a superior version (like upgrading from MP3 to FLAC or switching to a remastered version), it causes the new file to lose its lyrics data. As a result, I have to manually find and copy-paste the lyrics onto the newly replaced file. It's as if the lyrics aren't even transferred to the new replacement. Oddly, this issue doesn't affect any other metadata like artwork, album artist, year, or label.

I can replicate this bug using these steps:  {Right click on song >  Send to > Folder (replace) > Replace the selected file}
Here's a video demonstrating the issue, in this example, im replacing an mp3 file to a FLAC file of the same song: https://youtu.be/ckdmkF37hAY?si=ZtIc1m-8GAiegvzP

In other instances, I replace FLAC files that arent remastered to new FLAC remasters, and it still loses it's lyrics.

I'm currently using version 3.5.8447, which I believe is the latest one available. If anyone has insights or solutions on how to fix this issue, your help would be greatly appreciated[/right]

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you searched the forum as this sounds vaguely familiar, but I may be mistaken.

In any event, you could try updating to the latest patch version (3.538631 or greater) but I do not know if that will resolve the issue.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Assuming you're not the same user from the linked thread, it appears that something similar was brought up not so long ago:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=39874.0
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

phred

• Global Moderator
Did you try Mayibongwe or my suggestions?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

tjinc

This can be consistently reproduced - when using the Send To>Folder (replace) functions, any lyrics embedded in the file being replaced are lost. Any lyrics embedded in the new file are brought across.
(Using MB ver 3.5.8657 P)

LuvRainDown, there is not much you can do unless/until Steven has a look at this. Suggest copying the lyrics across to the new file before doing the replace.

The link in Mayibongwe's post is similar but refers to a loss of lyrics when synchronising - I could not reproduce this issue.

Steven

• Administrator
if the file being replaced is a MP3 file but the lyrics are in APEv2 format then i agree it wont work.
If thats not the case can someone send me a file i can try with

tjinc

Edit: link removed

Linked zip file contains two identical tracks:
01 Slipping Around - Tags.flac (Plenty of tagging including lyrics)
01 Slipping Around - No Tags.flac (only artist and title tags - no lyrics)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Add tagged version to library (and obviously check you are happy that tags are present)
2. Right click>Send To>Folder (replace)>Replace the Selected File and select the 'No Tags' version
3. File is replaced. Check tags and you will (I think) see that all the tags are still there but not the lyrics.

Hope this helps
Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 11:15:29 PM by tjinc

Steven

• Administrator

tjinc

That seems to have got it - great support as usual.

LuvRainDown - are you a happy camper now?

phred

• Global Moderator
LuvRainDown - are you a happy camper now?
I'm curious to see if the OP shows up again. Seems they made the one post and has not logged back into the forum since.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki