Author Topic: Musicbee grouping tracks with the same album name, but otherwise different tags  (Read 950 times)

wombleywoo

Hello,

I'm sorry, I don't know if this is a bug or if there is something wrong with my settings. But Musicbee is grouping together tracks with the same album name but have different artists/album artists/album artwork/year etc.

For example, I have two albums in my music library that are named "Form & Beauty". They are entirely unrelated, composed by different artists in different years etc. But Musicbee groups these together as a single album.

FWIW, my view is "Album Covers". My "Sort By" setting is "Date Added/Album". My "Group By" setting is "No Grouping". I have tried to fiddle with these settings, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks!

boroda

check "album artist" tag for tracks from both albums. mb determines albums as a combination of "album" tag AND "album artist" tag by default. change "album artist" for 1 of albums if it's the same for both albums, or change the definition of what is album: edit> prefs> sorting/grouping> grouping.

wombleywoo

Hello,

I can confirm that the "Album Artist" tag is different for both of the albums in question, and yet they are still grouped together.

Música

Welcome to the forum, wombleywoo.

I have not experienced your curious situation in my several years running MusicBee, which I am still learning. I currently have at least three pairs of identically named albums: "Alone Together," "The Four Seasons", and "So What"; plus, like many of us, several called "Greatest Hits". (All these are single-disc albums, FWIW.) I don't have "grouping" of any tracks with Artist tags being different in each set/case. I've even had identical albums ripped in different encodings (MP3 and FLAC) that still show separately/individually in the respective artist folder/MB listings. All of these groupings also show albums separately in Windows Explorer folders, BTW, which is what MB is reading. My MB views are Album Artist in the left panel and Album Covers in the main panel; my sort is also Date Added/Album.

Best of luck figuring this one out soon, which you should. Have you tried re-ripping the pair of Form & Beauty, perhaps re-starting in between (even though this should not be necessary nor make a difference)? Any chance that a prior/other music managing program/application may be interfering/doing its own thing?

frankz

What Música says there is most likely irrelevant to your situation.

1. Go to Edit->Edit Preferences->Sorting/Grouping...grouping
2. Make sure both Album Artist and Album are set as your definition of an album.  Then make sure the Album Artist is different for each of the albums.

This has been asked and answered hundreds of times on the forum, and has been the solution hundreds of times.