Author Topic: Genres and Sub-genres: A Practical List for Digital Music Players/Managers  (Read 44249 times)

hiccup

Just in case anyone here cares about/is interested in 'Ambient' music:

Up till now it has been predominantly affiliated with 'Electronic'.
And therefore it resides under Electronic in my Genre hierarchy table too.

But these days there are variants such as 'Ambient americana', ' Black ambient', 'Tribal ambient', etc.
So I think I will have to make some changes.
I could create a main 'Ambient' category and put everything with the word 'Ambient' under it.
Or I could put 'Black ambient' under Metal, Ambient americana' under Americana, 'Tribal ambient' under World, keep 'Ambient' under Electronic, etc.

Thoughts, opinions?

edit
to add some food for thought: https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/ambient/
Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 06:26:08 PM by hiccup

ThY

Imho, the RYM classification for Ambient is good.
Ambient should be a main umbrella genre.

Black Ambient is not Metal music, it is Ambient music with some elements picked up from Black Metal, but those elements are not part of what defines Metal music, like distorted guitars, which are not used in Black Ambient.

Same kind of logic for Ambient Americana and Tribal Ambient for me :)

hiccup

Ambient should be a main umbrella genre.
I was thinking the same thing.
So unless other Bees present different ideas, or objections, the next 'enhanced genre hierarchy' file will have that change.

Thanks for the—fast—response.

ThY

As a general rule, i find the RYM genres tree very well made.
I've never encountered a better one, and they update it from time to time, even some "old" genres.
I don't have precise examples right now, but i refer back to it a lot and frequently, and i noticed they adjust and reorganize things bit by bit.