Author Topic: Find a skin element's code akin to browser's element inspector?  (Read 2622 times)

T010

I'm using someone's skin files to fully customize it to my liking, however I noticed the skin file does not contain every available skin element's code. Is there a way for me to find out the specific xml code for a certain element when I browse around MusicBee and see some element that I need to style, much like a webbrowser's element picker tool?

boroda

@hiccup has created special dummy skin for this purpose. it's not usable by end users (it looks very distracting), but allows (by picking up colors of elements) to easily identify skin elements in the code of this skin. try to find this skin in 'skins' child board of 'customizations' board.

T010

I indeed found that Sample Skin useful for a few occasions, however I was looking for a simpler way than the process of changing to that skin, screenshot it > color pick it > search for the rgb value in xml > change rgb value > switch back to own skin.

And, more importantly, I found some icons in MusicBee that I wish to change but I can not find the element code of.

I searched the skinning wiki, and I see some code snippets for previously added elements scattered around this forum; I assume there is no single complete list of all current styleable xml elements around?

boroda

...process of changing to that skin, screenshot it > color pick it > search for the rgb value in xml > change rgb value > switch back to own skin.
i never created any skin myself, maybe other forum members will be more helpful, but see this process simpler: no screenshot, just pick color directly from screen (eg. by GetPixelColor) > search for the rgb value in xml > copy (modified as needed) element code from dummy skin to your skin.

I searched the skinning wiki, and I see some code snippets for previously added elements scattered around this forum; I assume there is no single complete list of all current styleable xml elements around?
i suspect that you are right. let's wait what others say.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
...process of changing to that skin, screenshot it (as boroda mentioned, no need for this step) > color pick it > search for the rgb value in xml > change rgb value > switch back to own skin.
That sure can be exhausting but the process is much easier when you've got multiple portable installations running - I usually have three:
- my main for playing music uninterrupted.
- a second that's using the skin I'm working on (lots of restarting here).
- and a third using the sample skin (for direct colour picking).

And, more importantly, I found some icons in MusicBee that I wish to change but I can not find the element code of.
In the sample skin under <images id="Default">, is a list of all current available icon elements. Which ones could you not find?

I assume there is no single complete list of all current styleable xml elements around?
There is and that's the Sample Skin already suggested.
Looking at its most recent version, it contains just about every current skinning element used in MusicBee (only 2 newly introduced ones appear to be missing).
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

The Incredible Boom Boom

Looking at its most recent version, it contains just about every current skinning element used in MusicBee (only 2 newly introduced ones appear to be missing).

Which two are missing?

T010

In the sample skin under <images id="Default">, is a list of all current available icon elements. Which ones could you not find?

I found at least these graphics that appear to have no known code available to customize them:

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
I found at least these graphics that appear to have no known code available to customize them:
You're right. At the moment, there aren't any icon elements available to override each of those.
You would have to make a wishlist request if you wish to change any of them.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore