Author Topic: Move library folders in explorer without changing the date added to library?  (Read 982 times)

zpoison

Is it possible to move my folders in explorer, which are already added to the library of MB, without having them marked as newly added to the library
Suppose I move them to a new folder that I made

phred

• Global Moderator
Not if you move them with something like File Explorer.

But you can move them using the computer node on the left side navigator. Drag and drop from the current to the new within MB and you'll be all set.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

zpoison

Drag and drop possibility but there is no cut and paste option

> Dragging folders all around is not suitable because it has to have all the folders open and also sometimes some folder could accidentally open up in contact of the mouse gesture and you lose track of the folder or things like that, misplacement etc.

Files are constantly being "re-added" even if they have been previously added, this is not convenient at all

This should be called "date modified", not date added

What is the purpose of date modified then?
I've just added a picture to one folder and now the date added has changed, this is really frustrating
Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:51:29 AM by zpoison

frankz

You understand that MusicBee doesn't have, like, human intuition, right?  

It can't look at a file in one location and then see a file in another location and intuit "OMG this file seems an awful lot like that other file that I remember from a totally different location. I think I'll link these on my own apart from any intervention."

It can only know what you tell it to know, and you can only tell it to know if you do things from within it.  It's up to you to decide whether performing file operations inside Musicbee is more or less convenient than losing these connections and statistics.

zpoison

If I added a picture to a folder and now MB call it a newly added folder it is misrepresentation
Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:00:05 AM by zpoison

frankz

Folders don't have Date Added MB library attributes as far as I know.  What are you seeing?

zpoison

frankz

It's not a default sorting on mine.

As phred said, if this is something you rely on, you should perform file operations from within MB.

zpoison

Look and read your menu
I see it , above the line in the middle = Date Added/Album
https://imgur.com/a/bLWuLQm

At that point maybe I should make a thread in the bugs section

Phred said to move folders around but it is not convenient at all since there is no cut & paste option, only dragging the folders. This is something that is known to give many errors and misplacements, etc etc

Beside, this is a misrepresentation to call "newly added" folder a modified folder
Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:36:47 AM by zpoison

frankz

Look and read your menu
I see it , above the line in the middle = Date Added/Album
https://imgur.com/a/bLWuLQm
Here is the image you can't seem to embed:

That's when the album's music files were added to the library, nothing to do with image files or folder dates.  That's different than whatever custom attribute you've defined.

At that point maybe I should make a thread in the bugs section
No, you really shouldn't do that, because you personally finding it inconvenient to do things the way that does work is not a program bug.

Phred said to move folders around but it is not convenient at all since there is no cut & paste option, only dragging the folders. This is something that is known to give many errors and misplacements, etc etc

zpoison

Please do it on your side if you don't believe me, it only takes 2 minutes to verify
Here's how
Simply move in windows explorer a picture from a picture folder inside the music folder and undo the move, then return into MB  then select the same folder and click edit, and look at the property tab, you will see added time has changed

It's a date modified attribute not a date added, this is a bug, or a misinterpretation to the least

You realize that my concern is not about moving things using MB but the bug that MB do by misrepresenting the dates if we move a file , calling it "added" instead of "modified" you understand that right?
I 'm wondering if you do it on purpose or not
Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:44:38 AM by zpoison

Steven

• Administrator
@zpoison, frankz has explained this to you already. If you move the file outside of MB then MB treats the file at the new location as a new file, so things like date added will have a different value.
Please stop arguing about this

zpoison

Unfortunately I merged 2 problems into this thread so maybe it is my fault because at first I was wondering why the new location would be a new file. (Answer: statistics are not embedded, alright okay)

But then I realized that just moving a file inside a "picture folder" inside an album folder, was triggering the folder as a new folder because of just moving a file inside that folder

So it's like it's "file sensitive":
It's interpreting a "date modified" attribute as a Date added, okay alright, I'll stop arguing about that, now that I know it's doing this behavior, which is "anything is date modified, there is no date added except when the addition of a folder to the library"

Okay, alright then

Steven

• Administrator
Drag and drop possibility but there is no cut and paste option
when using the Computer node in the left navigator, Cut and Paste of folders is supported via the right click context menu