Author Topic: New Hard Drive, Playlists Cannot Find File for Tracks  (Read 816 times)

frenzy

- Moved my MusicBee and music to my new hard drive
- Same installation of MusicBee as before
- Already did a Tooks > Advanced > Rescan All Files
- Music in playlists are still broken

Example:

phred

• Global Moderator
Open a playlist using a text editor and check the path to a music file. Then check the actual path to that music file. Are they the same? I suspect not.

You moved the MB installation and the music files to a new drive. Are the paths exactly the same as they were on the previous drive? I suspect not.

If not, you could try File > Library > Relink Music File Paths.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frenzy

- You are correct, the file paths are not the same.
- I found the folder containing my MusicBee playlists and moved them to my new hard drive.
- I attempted a "relink" but the problem still persists.

frankz

- I found the folder containing my MusicBee playlists and moved them to my new hard drive.

How different are the paths?
What did you put at the left and right when you attempted the relink?

frenzy

How different are the paths?
What did you put at the left and right when you attempted the relink?

- The path is still the old one, from my other hard drive
- The Relink Music File Paths was my old one but now it just shows the new one twice.

frankz

What are you talking about?

What was the old path to your root music folder and what is that new path and is anything different about the folder arrangement or file names below the root music folder?

What is different about the path as it exists vs that path where your playlists expect your music files to be?

frenzy

What are you talking about?

What was the old path to your root music folder and what is that new path and is anything different about the folder arrangement or file names below the root music folder?

What is different about the path as it exists vs that path where your playlists expect your music files to be?

Apologies for the confusion.

- The old path was: C:\Users\Frenzy\Music\Music\
- The new path is W:\Music\
- Nothing has changed with the arrangement of the folder or file names in the music folder

- I'm confused by the last comment in regards to the path where my playlist files are
- They are currently stored in W:\MusicBee2\Playlists\
- When I open one of the playlists in a text editor it says:    (  C:\Users\Frenzy\Music\MusicBee\ 0 False ÿÿÿÿ    ÿÿÿÿ   ŒW:\Music\Music\Music\SoulSeek\complete\redbook_bqtwin\AIKa R-16 OP ED Single - Sailing To The Future\01 - Sailing To The Future.mp3ÿÿÿÿ{W:\Music\Music\Music\SoulSeek\complete\redbook_bqtwin\AIKa R-16 OP ED Single - Sailing To The Future\02 - Rise.mp3ÿÿÿÿ

- There is no such "MusicBee" folder located at C:\Users\Frenzy\Music when I check that location.

frankz

Where is your original *.MBL musicbee library database file from the original install, and are you operating using this file or did you create a new library and then try to use  playlists from the old library in the new library?

frenzy

Where is your original *.MBL musicbee library database file from the original install, and are you operating using this file or did you create a new library and then try to use  playlists from the old library in the new library?

- The library database is in the "MusicBee2" folder in the previously shown screenshot

While the database is there, when I right click -> properties, it shows that the date it was created was today, when I had dragged the entire folder to the new drive, so I don't see how that's possible?

The other folders, such as my "Playlists" folder were created when I installed MusicBee.

I didn't tamper with these files at all. Just a simple cut and paste into the new drive.

- File -> Library -> Open Library is a new Library than what I originally was using.

I selected "choose an existing library" to see if my problem would solve, but it did not. However, the problem existed before I did this.

My current Library is the "MusicBee2" folder with my database + playlists.

My music is stored in the "Music" folder.

frankz

This right here
W:\Music\Music\Music\SoulSeek\complete\redbook_bqtwin\AIKa R-16 OP ED Single - Sailing To The Future\02 - Rise.mp3
Tells me you did the remapping multiple times or incorrectly

If you want things to be as they were before, you need to start by copying the entire original folder that contains your original mbl file, including the playlists where they were as they originally existed before your failed remapping, to the new location.

Then open that library (File->Library->Create New Library...or choose an exiting library that no longer appears in the list).

Before doing anything else

File->Library->Relink Music Files Paths
Left Side: C:\Users\Frenzy\Music\Music\
Right Side: W:\Music\

This will conduct a simple text replacement of all instances of C:\Users\Frenzy\Music\Music\ in your library including your playlists with W:\Music\

This is the right way.

If you want to try to salvage what you have, or if you don't have a backup of the library database folder as it originally exited you can **try**
Left Side: W:\Music\Music\Music\

This **might** work if nothing else is screwed up, but you're really best off starting over with your library as it originally existed and doing it the right way all the way through.

frenzy

This right here
W:\Music\Music\Music\SoulSeek\complete\redbook_bqtwin\AIKa R-16 OP ED Single - Sailing To The Future\02 - Rise.mp3

If you want things to be as they were before, you need to start by copying the entire original folder that contains your original mbl file, including the playlists where they were as they originally existed before your failed remapping, to the new location.

Then open that library (File->Library->Create New Library...or choose an exiting library that no longer appears in the list).

This will conduct a simple text replacement of all instances of C:\Users\Frenzy\Music\Music\ in your library including your playlists with W:\Music\

This is the right way.

If you want to try to salvage what you have, or if you don't have a backup of the library database folder as it originally exited you can **try**

This **might** work if nothing else is screwed up, but you're really best off starting over with your library as it originally existed and doing it the right way all the way through.

- The final solution works... sorta.

The Album, Artist, Genre, etc. on the songs in the playlists no longer appear.

As well as the "Recently Added" dates being all from today and "Top 25 Most Played" being wiped fresh.

While the latter aren't as important, the former (album artist genre, etc. not showing up) is quite an issue.

frenzy

This right here

This is the right way.

- The final solution works... sorta.

The Album, Artist, Genre, etc. on the songs in the playlists no longer appear.

As well as the "Recently Added" dates being all from today and "Top 25 Most Played" being wiped fresh.

While the latter aren't as important, the former (album artist genre, etc. not showing up) is quite an issue.

Actually, I found the solution to the "New" issue.

I did Tools -> Advanced -> Rescan All Files and they appear to be fixed.

However, is there no solution to salvaging the Top 25 Most Played and Recently Added dates?

frankz

However, is there no solution to salvaging the Top 25 Most Played and Recently Added dates?
The solution is to use the original library, in which all of this data is housed, as I originally advised.

frenzy

The solution is to use the original library, in which all of this data is housed, as I originally advised.

I tried that before, and it didn't work.

Perhaps it's because my library isn't the original one, somehow?

Although, I'm unsure of how it could have been changed. As I previously stated, the creation date says August 8th 2022. Yet, I have had MB for over a year.