Author Topic: Slow Sync with Android Device  (Read 4842 times)

Guapdad

I have about 18000 tracks in my library and I was able to sync them all to my android device (sd card) in ~30 minutes on my first sync a few months back. I don't remember making any changes to my sync settings since then. I'm trying to sync my device again but it's taking ~3 hours now. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing my sync speed to slow down. (I'm using the same SS-USB port as before)

See link for my current settings.

https://imgur.com/a/ir7qe7F

frankz

Honestly, based on my experience with USB synching, 3 hours doesn't sound overly long for a library that large. Most of it is probably the scan.  There is nothing to scan on the first sync, so it goes right into moving the files.

Wifi synching is considerably faster. Exponentially, even.
Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 06:46:51 AM by frankz

Guapdad

Thanks for the reply frankz.

The scan was taking a long time so I tried deleting my library from my device. It jumps right into syncing files but they are taking significantly longer than they were the first time I synced a few months back. I agree, 3 hours isn't so bad for that much data. I was pleasently suprised the first time I synced at how quick it was. Hoping I can figure out how to get that speed back.

I'll give the wifi sync a try. I always assume a usb or ethernet connection is faster and more reliable than wireless so I haven't bothered with it. Suprised to hear that it is exponentially faster in this case!

Guapdad

So I left my device to usb sync over night and when I got up, the sync had failed, citing an invalid date and time. The sync made it all the way through the file list and appears to have failed at the very end.

I'm trying the wifi sync now but it is even slower than the wired sync.

Any thoughts?

frankz

My thoughts turn now to your storage card being hosed.

Guapdad

Darn:( I think you're right. Just tried another sync. This time it got to the end and I got an error citing that an object is not attached to the device. I'll get another sd card and let you know how it goes.

Appreciate your help frankz!

Guapdad

Swapped out the sd card and sync is working fine now:)

frankz

dirtee

Hi there, not sure what the policy is on hopping onto/using already existing threads, but a new thread would literally have the same title..!

I'm doing a Wifi Sync as I type, it's been 5 hours, and 9% done.
Gonna take a while  ;D

It's nearly 20K songs, it's 420gigs.
That's big I know, I read on another thread that 120gigs took someone 6 hours, which makes my 420gig speed at the moment make sense.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether there's a quicker way?
If I transfer the files and folders through USB straight onto my SD card (brand new grade 1!), it would take less than an hour.
But the whole point of me doing it this way is so that the playlists sync properly with the android player and I don't have duplicates.

Should I just wait it out?
If I press "Stop", will anything have transferred?
Should I do it in shorter bursts perhaps?

Sorry for the deluge of questions! I'm always so inexperienced and VERY curious about how it all works.
I don't have on-the-fly conversion ticked, or 'create a sub-folder for each playlist'. Figure that would increase the time by a lot!

frankz

Same advice as above. Cancel what's happening now and continue by using WifiSync.  It will pick up where you left this sync off.

BoringName

Same advice as above. Cancel what's happening now and continue by using WifiSync.  It will pick up where you left this sync off.

They are already doing a wifi sync. 420gb is a lot but it's going to be over 50 hours which is quite slow. I think mine took around 8 hours initially and that was over 250gb.

I would copy to the SD card manually then do a wifi sync. Just be patient because it will probably show the loading thing for quite a while as it calculates what needs to be synced. It will still sync all your playlists just fine if you do it this way.

edit: once the bulk of your library is on the SD card the wifi app is very quick compared to a wired sync. I think this is due to how the files can be accessed. When you plug it into the PC, it's basically like a USB stick and MB has to scan the folders to find what files are already on it. It's a slow process. The wifi app has direct access to the file system on the phone so it can determine what files are already on the SD card quite quickly.
Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 03:26:41 AM by BoringName

dirtee

Same advice as above. Cancel what's happening now and continue by using WifiSync.  It will pick up where you left this sync off.

They are already doing a wifi sync. 420gb is a lot but it's going to be over 50 hours which is quite slow. I think mine took around 8 hours initially and that was over 250gb.

I would copy to the SD card manually then do a wifi sync. Just be patient because it will probably show the loading thing for quite a while as it calculates what needs to be synced. It will still sync all your playlists just fine if you do it this way.

edit: once the bulk of your library is on the SD card the wifi app is very quick compared to a wired sync. I think this is due to how the files can be accessed. When you plug it into the PC, it's basically like a USB stick and MB has to scan the folders to find what files are already on it. It's a slow process. The wifi app has direct access to the file system on the phone so it can determine what files are already on the SD card quite quickly.

Hey dude, thanks so much for the reply (and Frankz!).

Just to get this straight before I try it.
You mean copy the songs/folders/files onto the SD card, regular standard transfer, and THEN do the wifi sync (should one always do "preview" instead of "sync now"?).
If so, I'll give it a shot.
I assume I'll need to make sure the correct albums and songs are transferred before syncing, otherwise I'd get an error?
Oh wait, I guess, it would just transfer them through the sync then...
I'll try it with a smaller batch first maybe?

frankz

You will need to make sure they are organized and named exactly as they would be if they had been sent with the naming template you have set in MB or else they'll all just be sent again anyway when you sync.

BoringName

You mean copy the songs/folders/files onto the SD card, regular standard transfer, and THEN do the wifi sync (should one always do "preview" instead of "sync now"?).

Yes, copy them manually with a regular transfer. When I first changed over to musicbee from itunes I found a lot of inconsistent tag data especially with the album artist field. So while that was getting fixed up I would do a preview to get an idea of how long it's going to take. But don't bother so much now. From what I have seen, playlists get re-synced every time.

I assumed you were just copying your entire library over which should make it easy. Just copy everything in your music folder on the PC to the music folder on the android device. If you are only syncing a playlist that makes things more complicated as you will need to copy over all the individual songs in the playlist and maintain the folder structure.

Once you have copied them over, run the wifi sync. That will sync your playlists (copy them to the device) and check all the songs in the playlists are on the device, if not it will copy any over that you missed.

If you didn't miss anything, the wifi sync should be pretty quick.