Author Topic: Auto DJ Filter Weighting  (Read 943 times)

sarashaw

This is definitely a "W" on the MoSCoW scale and  whilst something I would find useful I have no idea whether others would find it useful so would love to hear thoughts.

The AutoDJ feature is great and there is a nice simple filtering system by genre etc.  But sometimes it is a little too random.  

I would love to create an auto playlist with variable weightings on the appearance frequency of, for example, genres.  So, instead of a playlist that gives 1/3 Pop, 1/3 Jazz, 1/3 classical because I have filtered for those, I would like to be able to specify a frequency or weighting so that I get a nice selection but different in nature.

eg:
     Jazz  10%
     Classical 20%
     Disco 70%

This also should include podcasts and as an avid podcast user please can there be a filter for random auto podcast play that defaults to earliest unplayed episode when selecting from each subscription.

Effectively this gives an auto DJ that enables me to create a radio show with mixed podcasts and music in a frequency that suits me.  

I guess you could say Video killed the radio star - perhaps Auto DJ can be the next evolutionary phase of the radio DJ   LOL

Steven

• Administrator
You can create a mixer playlist that does most of what you are asking. If you need to use other features of the dj, then the mixer playlist could be used as the source for the tracks

sarashaw

Sure, but then I lose the unbridled pleasure of a system randomly choosing my music and podcast mix with no effort on my part, giving me a different mix every time - a different emotional engagement than where I build my own playlist  :)

frankz

You should compare the features of auto-playlists, playlist mixers and auto-dj.  I'm sure between the three you could come up with something weighted (which is not random) but largely varied and entirely automatic.

For example, I have an autoplaylist that looks at my listening library and takes songs based on when they were last played and their rating.  Higher rated songs come back faster.

Then I have an auto playlist that pulls songs from that first playlist filtered to only my favorite artists.

Then I have a classical playlist.

Then I have a playlist mixer set up like:
First Playlist 250 songs
Second Playlist 30 songs
Classical Playlist 20 songs

This is shuffled.  I get three hundred shuffled songs (different every time because the first playlist is thousands of songs and always rotating based on last played date) slightly weighted toward my favorite artists (they come up randomly in the 250 and exclusively from the 30) with 7% of the three hundred classical.
Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 03:39:44 PM by frankz

sarashaw

You are quite correct and I hold my hands up to having missed the exact way in which playlist mixers work  :-[  - possibly because the numbers weighting only appears after adding a criterion.

Anyway, that is exactly what I was looking for, so problem solved  :)

After playing for the last hour or so I can't see any function from the "Play each criteria in sequence"  - the list as built is shuffled in both cases?

Thanks!

frankz

After playing for the last hour or so I can't see any function from the "Play each criteria in sequence"  - the list as built is shuffled in both cases?
I don't know what this question means.

This might help: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Playlists#Playlist_Mixers

sarashaw

lets say two criteria A and B with 5 tracks each.  As I understand (and this may be the issue!) from the Wikihelp  this should generate a playlist format:

A
A
A
A
A
B
B
B
B
B

where I ask to play in order and a randomized order if I choose that option.  For me, I cannot get it to do the straight order - it always comes out randomized, whichever option button I select.   

Not a problem to me, but I wondered if this is a programmatic issue hence the comment

Hope that clarifies.  Thanks

Sara

sarashaw

I am so stupid at times!!!

My panel was sorted by genre and not showing the track numbers....

So we can close this and say that the playlist mixer does do exactly what i was asking and is doing it very well.

off to stick my head in a bucket  :-[  :'(