Author Topic: Enhanced Genre hierarchy list  (Read 28920 times)

hiccup

… so let me insist and introduce the new Electronic sub-genre synthwave like this:

Electronic
      Synthwave · Vaporwave
            Synthwave::genre
            Cyberpunk::genre
            Darksynth::genre
            Outrun::genre
            Minimal synth::genre
            Spacesynth::genre
            Vaporwave::genre

I find quite a few things in this proposal problematic:

- Neither Cyberpunk nor Outrun are acknowledged as music genres by the known genre providers. 
     - Vaporware is quite a unique genre, so I don't think it can go under any genre category other than Electronic. And having a category for a single genre does not make much sense. 
     - Darksynth these days seems mostly to be considered a genre on its own, not a subgenre of Synthwave. 
       So they should be side-by-side, not one above the other. 
     - Spacesynth is more related to Space disco/Synthpop/EDM. 
       And it is from the 80's, so it seems very weird to place it under the Synthwave genre that is from around 2006/2007. 
     - The same goes for Minimal synth, which is even older, dating back to the 70's. 
       It's also closer related to Synthpop and Minimal wave than to Synthwave. 

So I will not make these changes.

hiccup

I just wanted to say that I am still updating this list and the related scripts on a (roughly) weekly basis.
But I don't feel like bothering the forum by posting 'updated' every time I make a minor addition or change to it.

schenell

Is it possible in some way yo subscribe to the folder or something to easy get an update when you have edit the whitelist file? :)

hiccup

Is it possible in some way yo subscribe to the folder or something to easy get an update when you have edit the whitelist file? :)
No, not really.

I have been reluctant to create an 'updated' post every time I make a small change or addition to these files, since I don't want the forum to be bothered with this too much.

Especially since many additions to the hierarchy sheet and the whitelist these days are genres that someone added at RYM or MusicBrainz that are very obscure genres from Africa or the inlands of BoraBora, and/or more 'academic' genres that don't even have one single release attached to them.

If I add something that seems worthwhile to mention, I usually create an 'updated' post. (which you would get an email notification for if you are subscribed to this topic)
But maybe I should do that every time, even if the change is very minor.
I'll think about it.

edit
Hm, looking back I have indeed been very sparse in communicating when things were updated.
For those interested, the last time the files were updated was 21-01-2024.
(I will usually update weekly or so)

Spoiler ahead:
The next update will include:
Mataali and Uyghur muqam!

Yes!!!
+1 if you want that tomorrow!
Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:21:53 PM by hiccup

schenell

Thanks for fast reply:) Just started to get my music files in order using Picard and MusicBee and find this forum and many of your tips/tricks so be very useful for a neewbie like me. Espacially that part with scripts and stuff like that. Just a short question, sorry if it's a bit out of this thread but are you also using Picard forum for similair posts like those here?That page wasn't so easy to scan compairing to this forum. Got some questions and looking for answers:) Thanks again..

hiccup

Just a short question, sorry if it's a bit out of this thread but are you also using Picard forum for similair posts like those here?
No, I am not very active on the MusicBrainz forum these days.
(for reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread)

So you'll probably won't find anything from me there that isn't available on this forum.

Dzib

Hi, I don't know how it happened but since this morning, the enhanced genre is no longer available from the tag explorer.
That's strange because I didn't changed anything and yesterday and everything was working fine.

Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 10:12:19 AM by Dzib

hiccup

Hi, I don't know how it happened but since this morning, the enhanced genre is no longer available from the tag explorer.
That's strange because I didn't changed anything and yesterday and everything was working fine.
I'm trusting that it was some glitch, and things are o.k. now?

hiccup

updated, added new genres and a new feature:

I have added a node for classical work types that only shows what are considered to be 'work types' a.k.a. 'compositional forms'.

These are the worktypes it can contain:

All other 'genres' or 'styles' are filtered out for that node, making it a more comprehensive way of browsing your classical music without it being cluttered with too many genres.

Also, the 'work type' tag seems less subject to having been labeled incorrectly at MusicBrainz, which is often the case with the 'genre' tag.
So the results should be more correct then when using 'genre' for browsing.

Howto:

You'll need to create a Picard script that does something like this:

$setmulti(work_type,%_cwp_worktype_genres%)

And create a custom tag in MusicBee like this:

That's pretty much all that's needed.

Note that not all classical music has been tagged with work types in MusicBrainz database, so they will not show up in the Work type node.
They probably will in the Genre node though.
So what you could do is create a more complicated script that queries the Genre tag for valid Work type names, and write those to the Work type tag.

You could also improve the source, by adding missing work types to MusicBrainz' database and/or edit genres…