Author Topic: Bit perfect playback with MusicBee and Topping E30...  (Read 1009 times)

latheofheaven

Hello All!

For several months I've been using a lovely SMSL DO200 DAC which really surprised me at how good it sounded on my primary system (my very first DAC after 40+ years pretending to be an Audiophile :) )  And, using MusicBee exclusively I had it set to use the Wasapi Exclusive which completely bypassed Windows, the volume controls, everything.  So, it was perfect!

BUT... lately my USB input died on my SMSL and as an experiment I bought the Topping E30 from Amazon to give it a try since the reviews were very good.  But, for some odd reason, with the exact same settings in MusicBee, but now for the Topping (Wasapi Exclusive) for some bizarre reason the Windows volume control is NOT defeated.  I was reading somewhere that the drivers for the Topping somehow create its own volume control, even though I have the DAC set to 'Fixed Volume'

Is there anything I can do to get TRUE exclusive bit-perfect playback like I had with my SMSL but now with my Topping?  I really appreciate any input and help!

Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOUNDROOM / SYSTEM / COLLECTION
Comments added to lower-right of some pictures giving more details about how my system is set up

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ja3UKob7tppW4Y38

hiccup

Have you tried it without using drivers and software from Topping?

latheofheaven

You know, I WAS reading something about that I think on the HA forum.  People seem to say that with W10 you shouldn't need their drivers.  I guess I just was afraid of not setting it up properly.

So, in what order then should I do this?  Unplug the USB going to the DAC first, then remove the Topping drivers, then just plug the DAC back in?

Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Comments added to lower-right of some pictures giving more details about how my system is set up

hiccup

Yep, unplug, find and remove all Toping drivers and/or software, restart the computer and plugin the dac again.
(if the option is presented to remove the drivers completely from the computer yes or no, choose yes)

With W10 the dac should then get recognised and installed automatically.

Do understand I am only guessing here. It's still your computer, and your decision…
But I can't imagine a scenario where things could go wrong.
Worst case, if it doesn't solve the problem you may need to reinstall the Topping drivers.

latheofheaven

No, no... that sounds perfectly fine, thank you kindly!

I wonder if that would allow total exclusivity to the Wasapi driver...?  Hope so!  But, if I am saddled with this, what is my best recourse?  Do I set Windows master volume at like, what, 75 or 85% or something and then just use the MB volume as usual?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

latheofheaven

Okidoke, I did that and Windows did recognize the Topping immediately, BUT unfortunately it doesn't seem to affect the exclusive nature of the Wasapi Exclusive driver  :(

The Windows master volume is still engaged.  So, I guess if I stay with the Topping I will just have to live with it.

So, what do I do about the Windows master volume then, leave it at 100?  Or should I lower it some to say 75% / 85% ?

Thank you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sveakul

What do you mean exactly by "The Windows master volume is still engaged" ?  Are you talking about the Windows Volume Mixer?  If so, the slider for Device (first one) will lower/raise the entire system volume by design even with Wasapi Exclusive engaged, that doesn't mean you're not getting your bit-perfect output.  If when you raise or lower the mixer's slider for "MusicBee" you're getting a change, that's when to worry.

latheofheaven

Well, with the SMSL DAC and using Wasapi Exclusive EVERYTHING was disabled and bypassed in Windows and the output truly was bit-perfect.  Now, with the Topping with the exact same Wasapi Exclusive it does not appear to be so.  I don't think there is anything I can do about it unless a different player will somehow allow me to set it that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sveakul

You didn't answer my questions so I'm unable to speculate further, but maybe you should try another player like you said.

latheofheaven

Heh... well...  I don't know how I can make it more clear  :)

Yes, as you said, the ENTIRE system volume (Windows) does indeed go 'up & down' like you said, or as I said it was 'engaged'  With the SMSL set to Wasapi Exclusive NO OTHER volume controls other than the player itself were active, engaged, 'up & down', whatever...  

So, basically what I am saying is that with the SMSL I did get complete exclusivity and bit-perfect playback (the way I understand it)  With the Topping, I do not seem to be able to set it the same way BECAUSE all the other Windows volumes (or I should say at least the master volume, that YES, controls the whole system) is still engaged, still affects the volume in a variable way, which SUGGESTS to me that it is indeed not bit-perfect like the SMSL was before.

Better...?  :D

And yes, you may be quite right, I might not be able to set the MusicBee with the Topping like I was with the SMSL, so I may have to try another player.  FWIW, I DID try Foobar with the Wasapi Exclusive driver chosen, and it did the exact same thing.  The Windows master volume was still active.  

Could just be a limitation of the DAC, IDK...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~