Author Topic: New MB install - Network Share and library location  (Read 493 times)

JohnMusic

Bottom line up front: I’m trying to run MusicBee from multiple (2 at the moment) computers on a LAN, the LAN and shares are working. OS on both are Win10Pro

I’m moving from iTunes to MusicBee. I copied the iTunes music files to MusicBee > Ripped Files. iTunes was uninstalled and the old iTunes folder wad deleted.

MusicBee was installed on the primary desktop (aka: server) – no problems at all. All music files are in: MusicBee > Ripped Files. The MusicBee folder is a network Share “MusicBee”.

On the server it works perfect. I can “rip” a CD or import mp3 as a single track and it shows up in the database, no problem.

I installed MB on my Shop computer and when asked I chose “Chose a network share” and pointed it to the MusicBee network share. It worked perfect. I could see and play the entire music collection from the Shop computer. Could not see playlists…

Problem: New additions on the server do not show up on the shop computer – neither do new CD rips or single mp3 imports… Also, playlist on server are not on coup computer.

It looks like the Shop MB install is using the music files on the server, but it created a new MusicBeeLibrary.mbl which it created in the C:\Users\John\Music folder on the Shop computer.

How do I point the Shop MB install to the network share where the “real” MusicBeeLibrary.mbl resides? What changes to the Shop computer MB preferences/settings do I need to make?

Sorry, this is so long, hoping more info is better than not enough. I love MB, so glad to be moving away from iTunes.

frankz

You need to open the networked version of the MBL on both computers (File->Library->Create New Library...or choose an existing library...).

Also, don't have both open at the same time.  Bad things can happen.

It's much easier if you install MB portable to a networked location and open that same version from both computers (Always using the network reference in your shortcut, never the local address on the machine on which MB is installed).  That way you've only got one set of settings and layouts to configure and don't have to make every single change you want to make on two installs.

Also don't have both open at the same time using this method.

I believe this will solve your other problem as well.
Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 01:35:38 AM by frankz

JohnMusic

I missed the "Portable" version for remote installs, will try that. I'll uninstall on the Shop computer and re-install the portable version, after I fix the duplicate issue on the Primary "server" computer.

On the server I did your suggestion:  (File->Library->Create New Library...or choose an existing library...) and I chose the network share where the MusicBeeLibrary.mbl is located - file://DESK01/MusicBee. No change, Shop install is still not getting the updates to the server install, and the duplicates on the server are still there.

Since this is a new install - should I just uninstall on both computers start fresh? Reinstall the full version on the server using the network share and then install the portable version on the remote install? There are no playlist to be lost, have only built a couple test. In my day job I am a SysAdmin for a library. Sometimes a fresh start works... thoughts?

frankz

Since this is a new install - should I just uninstall on both computers start fresh? Reinstall the full version on the server using the network share and then install the portable version on the remote install? There are no playlist to be lost, have only built a couple test. In my day job I am a SysAdmin for a library. Sometimes a fresh start works... thoughts?
I'm not sure how you were able to interpret my advice to have one portable installation that you open from both locations as being advice to install two versions, but that was not my intent.  As I said, the easiest way is to install MB portable to a network share on one computer and then open that same install on both computers using the network address as the shortcut.

As for the library, I don't know what you did to create duplicates, but you should probably start a new library.  Just to be on the safe side, I will reiterate that this library should be on the network and opened on both computers using the network URL and that your music files / monitored folders etc should be referenced by network address not local directory location.
Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:02:27 AM by frankz

JohnMusic

I'm not sure how you were able to interpret my advice to have one portable installation that you open from both locations as being advice to install two versions, but that was not my intent.  As I said, the easiest way is to install MB portable to a network share on one computer and then open that same install on both computers using the network address as the shortcut.

As for the library, I don't know what you did to create duplicates, but you should probably start a new library.  Just to be on the safe side, I will reiterate that this library should be on the network and opened on both computers using the network URL and that your music files / monitored folders etc should be referenced by network address not local directory location.

Frankz: I get it now, I thought you meant use the portable version only on the Shop computer - I was mistaken. My setup now works perfect! Thank you.

About the duplicates – I have no idea how I managed to do that, that problem is now gone…

For others that may be in my shoes later, this how I used your advice to fix my installs. I deleted MB on both computers – I left my music files in their original network share location.

I then installed MB Portable on my primary desktop – when MB suggested the “Music” folder as the install folder, I changed it by browsing to my network share (\\DESK01\MusicBee\) and installing it there. Then I went to \\DESK01\MusicBee\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe and right clicked on the MusicBee.exe and sent a shortcut to the desktop. Opening MB with that links works perfect. I added a couple test playlist so I could later test the Shop computer.

I then went to the Shop computer and navigated to the \\DESK01\MusicBee\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe network share, right clicked on the MusicBee.exe and sent a shortcut to the Shop computer desktop. Opening MB with that links works perfect – the playlist that I created earlier on the primary desktop were available on the shop computer. All artwork and play counts are there as well.

Thank you Frankz!

frankz

You're welcome.  I created a guide about shared network installs and libraries a couple of hours ago and posted it in Tips and Tricks because this seems to come up semi-regularly, but it seems like you've got it worked out already.

Enjoy.