Author Topic: Anyone else notice your Date Created changing? Got a workaround?  (Read 919 times)

Astro Gaze

Hey guys,

I usually keep my folders in Windows Explorer sorted by Date Created and my music library sorted by Date Added. Normally these match up and make it easy to locate a file, should I have to access it.

Lately, I've noticed old files changing their Date Created to the current date, after adding/editing/deleting lyrics and adding/deleting artwork in MusicBee. Tonight it happened to half an album after I edited the lyrics of those songs. I came from iTunes and editing metadata didn't affect the date created.

I wasn't familiar with how MusicBee worked and evidently made a false bug report. But there, Steven described the process I was experiencing as:

sometimes there isnt enough room in a file for new tag data so the file needs to be recreated from scratch.

I'd like to make a Wishlist Request that MusicBee preserves the Date Created of the file it's recreating. For example FreeCommander can "Preserve File/folder timestamp" during moving/copying.

But first, would anyone else find this useful?

If not, does anyone know a workaround for what I'm trying to achieve?

phred

• Global Moderator
Do you mean this?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

boroda

@phred, no, op means 'date created' file attribute, not 'date modified'. 

phred

• Global Moderator
@phred, no, op means 'date created' file attribute, not 'date modified'.
Ahhh yes. I reread the OP's issue and have now fully digested it. Thanks boroda.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SonicRings

This is actually quite odd, because from my experience with Mp3tag, the files can be allocated additional padding without re-creation, and thus not have its date created be touched. The date modified obviously changes. But the only time the date created ever changes is when you actually REMOVE padding, not add/increase it.

To test, I did the following:

Run a batch file on a flac in a folder to remove padding:

Code
metaflac --dont-use-padding --remove --block-type=PICTURE,PADDING *.flac

Padding reports as 0KB in Mp3tag
Date created has changed

Add a character to a tag
Padding now reports as 4KB in Mp3tag
Date created does not change

Embed artwork to the file
Padding now reports as 678KB in Mp3tag (674KB image + 4KB pre-existing padding)
Data created does not change

The date created SHOULDN'T change when padding is added to a file. ONLY when removing. Because you can't simply remove padding from a file. Once it's there, it's there for good. To remove it, you have to re-create the file without its padding. So I don't think that is the cause for what's going on here. Perhaps MusicBee is just mishandling it in this case.

belomeclone

My MusicBee changes the Date Created metadata when I edit a song saved to my C drive.

When I edit a song saved to an external drive, my MusicBee does not change the Date Created metadata.

I do not know what is making the difference. That would tell me it's not MusicBee at fault, but what would be at fault?