Author Topic: MusicBee File Paths: Installed vs Portable  (Read 10547 times)

hiccup

Perhaps this location for TM's should be added?:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=39390.msg212893#msg212893

Doing a speed-read on it, I am a bit confused if this is about Theater Modes or Skins though.

karbock

Perhaps this location for TM's should be added?:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=39390.msg212893#msg212893

Doing a speed-read on it, I am a bit confused if this is about Theater Modes or Skins though.

In fact, the location is already in the table, but with «%APPDATA%» instead of «c:\users\<your id>\appdata\roaming».
There are 2 «Add Skin» commands:
  • one for skins (which copies the file to «%APPDATA%\MusicBee\Skins», see F.1)
  • one for theater modes (which copies the file to «%APPDATA%\MusicBee\Plugins\TheaterMode.List», see F.2)

hiccup

In fact, the location is already in the table, but with «%APPDATA%» instead of «c:\users\<your id>\appdata\roaming».
Ah, O.K. I overlooked that.
But other users might too? Not everybody will fully understand the workings of %APPDATA%?
(not a strong opinion, your call of course)

sveakul

I just have to say, wouldn't the music world would be so much simpler if everyone just used the P-O-R-T-A-B-L-E version of MusicBee?  Got multiple users on the same PC with their own preferences?  Just make multiple portable installs in differently named folders.  Like, where is the disadvantage?

phred

• Global Moderator
Like, where is the disadvantage?
There is no disadvantage. I think those users who don't use the Store (yech) or the Portable versions are folks who aren't too conversant with PCs in general. They don't understand unzipping and placing in a directory of your choice. Or even having the knowledge to select a directory for the portable files. Simply clicking on "install" takes all the guess work out of it for those PC neophytes.

EDIT: correction
Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:07:01 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Like, where is the disadvantage?
There is no disadvantage.
Luckily, using the portable version is already strongly recommended and well-explained in the F.A.Q. under items #1a, #1b and #1c.
(oh wait, there hasn't been a functional F.A.Q. for a while)

sveakul

I think those users who don't use the Store (yech) or the Portable versions are folks who aren't too conversant with PCs in general.
phred I think you meant to say "..who USE the Store or the INSTALLER versions.."

karbock

Ah, O.K. I overlooked that.
But other users might too? Not everybody will fully understand the workings of %APPDATA%?
(not a strong opinion, your call of course)
I've just added some explanation about the environment variables used.

phred

• Global Moderator
phred I think you meant to say "..who USE the Store or the INSTALLER versions.."
Of course I did. Thanks for catching that. I'll edit it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Gendji

No idea if this is something that belongs in this guide but while trying to make the switch to portable, i noticed that the podcast graphics i use are stored at "L:\Users\*.*\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\Subscriptions\".

The links can be found in the Subscriptions.dat file under \Library\*.*\Podcasts\.

I changed the .dat file with a text editor replaced "L:\Users\*.*\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\Subscriptions\" with "\MusicBeePortable\AppData\InternalCache\Subscriptions\" and it worked.

karbock

No idea if this is something that belongs in this guide but while trying to make the switch to portable, i noticed that the podcast graphics i use are stored at "L:\Users\*.*\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\Subscriptions\".

The links can be found in the Subscriptions.dat file under \Library\*.*\Podcasts\.

I changed the .dat file with a text editor replaced "L:\Users\*.*\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\Subscriptions\" with "\MusicBeePortable\AppData\InternalCache\Subscriptions\" and it worked.

Thanks for your contribution, Gendji! It fits perfectly within the purview of this thread.
I have just updated the main post accordingly.

Gendji

Thanks for your contribution, Gendji! It fits perfectly within the purview of this thread.
I have just updated the main post accordingly.

Happy to help, and thank you very much for the guide, finally managed to go portable :)

Gendji

One other thing i noticed while figuring out how to get file associations working with portable.

No idea if that works for everyone but when i started portable as administrator, the file associations that i had with the installed version, where saved in the registry, assigned to portable. So .flac, .mp3 etc., open portable MB and play when clicked in explorer for example. That's all i had to do to make it work. 

Hope i am making sense.