Author Topic: MusiicBee Portable problem on Win 11  (Read 852 times)

Ouchita

Version 3.4.8033 P

Have problem with MusicBeePortable on new Windows 11 system.
Scenario:-
1. Create MusicBee Portable version, on PC A (Win 10). It works !

2. Save folder MusicBeePortable to external SSD

3. Plug ssd into PC B (Win 11),  run  D:/MusicBeePortable/MusicBee/MusicBee.exe.  It works (running off the ssd)

4. Copy D:/MusicBeePortable to C:/My Data/My Music/

5. run  C:/My Data/My Music/MusicBeePortable/MusicBee/MusicBee.exe

6. First of all, could not find *LBL file, that seemed to be have been resolved, but I don't know how.

7. Then, when MusicBee runs, it cannot play a track because "The source file for track 'abcdef' could not be found.

Is this a problem relating to Win 11, or have I misunderstood  how the portable version works. I assume the portable version is entirely self-contained and has no absolute file location specified, ie all files are relative to the folder structure.

TIA !
Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:35:10 PM by Ouchita

phred

• Global Moderator
First of all, you should not be "installing" the portable version in C:\My Data\My Music as that is a Windows-controlled directory. I suggest starting all over again, first by "uninstalling"/removing MB from the first PC. Then "install" it in something like C:\MusicBee. Once that's set up copy the entire MB directory to the external SSD and copy that to the second PC placing it in the exact same file path as used on the first PC.

Then, where are your music files stored?
In order to access the music files , they must be in a path that both PCs can see/read. Like a NAS.

If the music files are only on the first PC, then you'll have to adjust the settings in the second PC to reflect where they are.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
To supplement phred's comment, I believe the portable uses relative paths for its program files, but still uses absolute paths for the audio files, which could be anywhere on the system.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Ouchita

That seems to be the case.
So:-
1. My audio files are on the SSD, in /MusicBeePortable/MusicBee/Library/Ripped/Files/........ etc
2. If I run MBportable from the SSD, then it works IF that is plugged in as drive D:
3. If the SSD is any other drive, eg F: (accomplished by previously plugging in other usb drive(s) then it does not work.)
4. I don't understand why it works if drive D:
    The SSD MBL file shows their audio files original locations from the 'sending' PC, eg \My TestRig\MusicBeePortable\Library\Ripped Files\

I'm testing what I think will get round some problems, will post again...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If all that changes is the drive letter, you should be able to use "relink music file paths" to quickly correct it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Not sure what OP is trying to do, and don't have time to look it up/test now, but...

I think if you install MusicBee to a portable drive and add music files from the same drive, MusicBee will use relative file paths.
This lets you move a drive between computers and it will still work even if the drive letters change on each machine.

If you add files from a different drive, MusicBee uses absolute file paths.

First of all, you should not be "installing" the portable version in C:\My Data\My Music as that is a Windows-controlled directory.
No it's not.
Bee excellent to each other...

Ouchita

The OP (me) wants to maintain  a master copy of MB on a desktop, and all new input, e.g. CDs, will be added on that system.
All music files are stored in Ripped Files, in the Library folder.

Periodically I want to copy the whole caboodle to a couple of laptops, using a SSD (for speed) as an intermediary.

My assumption had been that the Portable version would meet my needs, by using relative paths, and I changed from the standard version to portable. It doesn't seem to provide such facility, and I am testing out different options, taking note of the suggestions made, for which I am grateful.

From psychoadept:- "To supplement phred's comment, I believe the portable uses relative paths for its program files, but still uses absolute paths for the audio files, which could be anywhere on the system."
Yes, that may be true for some users, but it would be nice if there was an option where it was known (by the user) that all music was in one folder, e.g. Ripped Files, allowing relative addressing.

Thanks for the time spent and input.

PS I didn't reply to the early comment that using something like C:\MusicBee\........ wasn't allowed by Windows. I forgot to make the suggestion that it just seemed to be plain incorrect !

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
PS I didn't reply to the early comment that using something like C:\MusicBee\........ wasn't allowed by Windows. I forgot to make the suggestion that it just seemed to be plain incorrect !

I think there was a miscommunication here. Phred is saying that C:\MusicBee\ IS allowed by Windows.  The concern was that if C:/My Data/My Music/ is actually your %USER%\My Music folder, it might not be.  But I think the portable version would work even from within the user directory, just not Program Files. I've used it from the desktop in the past.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)