Author Topic: Playlists reorder when I add new music  (Read 491 times)

sunyatacyte

Hi, can anyone help me with this? When I add music to playlists in MusicBee, it automatically rearranges/jumbles the tracks in those playlists in weird ways. This started happening a couple of months ago in Windows 10 and continues to happen in Windows 11. The steps to reproduce the behavior are as follows - they're exactly the same for me every time:

- Create new playlist

- displayed fields: use default OR custom fields for this playlist only (makes no difference which I select)
- display using view: Default

- Add album (Logic - No Pressure) by dragging the tracks into the playlist from Windows Explorer

- Since my other playlist is in descending order, this album is, too; however, I don't want it to be. I can't just change it to ascending order, however; because then my other playlist will also change to ascending order. So, I rearrange each track manually so the album will play through from start to finish.
- Now I drag a second album (Them Crooked Vultures) in from Windows Explorer and drop it above the first, at the top of the playlist
- For some reason it adds it below the Logic album instead
- It also rearranges the order of the tracks in the Logic album (the first album I added) so they go 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 14, 15
- Additionally, it adds the new album (Them Crooked Vultures) in ascending order (1-13)

- If I navigate to Sort > Restore Manual Order, it inverts the current list and also inverts my other playlist, which I don't want it to do, so instead, I have to reorder everything manually so "Them Crooked Vultures" is at the top, Logic's "No Pressure" is at the bottom, and all the tracks are in album order

- Now I add a third album to the end/bottom of the list by dragging it in from Windows Explorer

- This time, the first album I added (Logic) is actually split up: From the top of the playlist, it goes track 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, then the new album ("Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1"), appears in the correct order (1-18), then Logic's "No Pressure" continues but in reverse, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and then "Them Crooked Vultures" appears in descending order 13-1

This same behaviour repeats every time I follow these steps, and I mean exactly, down to the track numbers, where Logic's album splits in half, etc.

Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this?
Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:54:30 AM by sunyatacyte

boroda

right-click on playlist, click "playlist settings". change displayed fields to "custom fields for this playlist only". click "save". now you  set own fields for this playlist, and own sorting also (leaving displayed fields as is).

sunyatacyte

Unfortunately I tried that but it has no affect on the outcome.
In fact, changing to "custom fields for this playlist only" doesn't even stop my other playlist from reordering when I reorder this one - let alone the strange jumbling of tracks when I add new ones.
Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:50:47 AM by sunyatacyte

Steven

• Administrator
can you send a link to your settings file and i will have a quick look
(help/ support/ view settings)

sunyatacyte

hey thanks! but when I try to follow your instructions to get the settings file, it gives me this:

Steven

• Administrator
if you are not using the portable version, it should be in
C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.ini

sunyatacyte

Ok so there is no MusicBee folder for me in C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming - not sure why that would be. However, I do periodically back MusicBee up and I managed to find a MusicBee3Settings.ini file in my backup folder.

Sorry, but could you please tell me how to send you a link to it. I haven't been able to work out how to do that.

boroda

sunyatacyte

Hmm actually I have no idea, I've been using it now for years and I can't remember. Is there a way to tell?

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmm actually I have no idea, I've been using it now for years and I can't remember. Is there a way to tell?
Help > About will show version number. Be sure to include the letter following the number. If it's an 'S' you've got the store version.

Did you try to get the settings file with the method Steven said? Help > Support > Show Settings File. That should open up in Notepad. Then File > Save and make note of where you saved it. From there go to MediaFire.com and upload the file. Make note of the link to the file which is provided after the upload is complete. Send Steven a PM with the link. If this is beyond your capabilities, there's nothing Steven (or anyone) can do to provide more help.

One suggestion would be to get rid of the Store version, if that's indeed what you have, and use the Installer or Portable.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sunyatacyte

Oh yes ok the version is 3.4.8033 Store, so I guess that's the store version.

And yeah I tried getting the settings file using that method, but it just tells me "The system cannot find the path specified" (as in the screenshot above). I can only find a settings file in my backup.

So I have PM'ed this file to Steven using your method.

If he can't find anything, I will try to replace the Store version with the direct version.

Thanks for your help.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. Glad you got the settings file to Steven.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here