Author Topic: Syncing with and IPod classic  (Read 4750 times)

ShortExtent

Hi All - I'm a new kid here. A kinda refuge from iTunes.

I've read somewhere that the bee can sync with my IPOD. I have seen some config settings but cannot find any advice on how to set things up or whether it's just a case of plug and play ?
Can someone point this idiot towards the idiot's guide to setting up sync with an iPod Classic?

THX
BS

hiccup

Welcome to the forum ShortExtent

There is a lot of info on that already present on the forum to be found.
The native forum search feature is not great, but if you use google you will probably find all the answers that you are looking for.

Best use:
site:https://getmusicbee.com/ [enter search terms here]
for your google searches.

phred

• Global Moderator
There's also some pinned threads in the Tips & Tricks section.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Just a thought: perhaps it would be good to have a dedicated Apple iStuff board?
(that I could then ignore completely ;-)

I'm somewhat joking, but I also think it might be a good and helpful idea.
Apple related issues seem to be scattered around a bit too much for people to find them.

ShortExtent

Welcome to the forum ShortExtent

There is a lot of info on that already present on the forum to be found.
The native forum search feature is not great, but if you use google you will probably find all the answers that you are looking for.

Best use:
site:https://getmusicbee.com/ [enter search terms here]
for your google searches.

Thanks for that Hiccup. what came back was extremely absorbing to read.

Thx
SE

frankz

I'm not sure if you saw this or if it is designed to work with your hardware, but there is a new driver:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36718.0

BoringName

From what I've read on here over the last month or so, you have 3 options all with their own drawbacks.

1. Use the plugin I updated that frankz linked. While I am fairly confident this will work for you, it can be quite slow on big libraries. For 36000 songs it takes 20-30 min to do a sync even if there are no changes. If you need to update metadata (if you change tag information) it can take up to 50 minutes. The initial sync takes hours. It requires itunes to be installed to act as a proxy between MB and your device.
2. You can setup the iPod so MB syncs with it directly. There is a guide here - https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18506.0
I have no idea if that still works but I'm pretty sure you don't need earlier versions of iTunes to upgrade the firmware. 2.0.4 is the last firmware iTunes will install on an iPod. There is a 2.0.5 firmware version but this is for specific devices that had different hardware. This option will not do any reverse syncing. Play counts and ratings...
3. Install Rockbox on your iPod. This will sync with MusicBee and reverse sync Play Counts from what I have read. But it means using a different interface. You can switch between the different OS's though. I did read somewhere that Rockbox can have comms problems, I can't find the post now but one user would switch between OS's for syncing.

I know option 1 works for me with an IPoD Classic gen 6. Was 160gb but now has an iFlash card in with 384gb of SD card storage. If your iPod talks to iTunes then there is no reason it shouldn't work for you. Just read the thread frankz linked to the end as there is a bit of info about how it all works and any issues involved with it.

I've not tested options 2 and 3 so no idea if they still work.

Roby

It works very well for me with MB potable and iPod drivers installed with CopyTransDriversInstaller.

boroda

Just a thought: perhaps it would be good to have a dedicated Apple iStuff board?
(that I could then ignore completely ;-)

I'm somewhat joking, but I also think it might be a good and helpful idea.
Apple related issues seem to be scattered around a bit too much for people to find them.
it may be a child boards of "questions" and "tips & tricks" boards.

Walter_Disney

It works very well for me with MB potable and iPod drivers installed with CopyTransDriversInstaller.
Hey I'm just wondering how that works because I tried the iPhone/iPod plugin and it just wouldn't work

boroda

read plugin topic. there are recommendations for acceptable itunes versions (not all versions will work good or work at all).