Author Topic: Manual sorting order changed unexpectedly  (Read 493 times)

gamebounty

Howdy Yall. I've been using Musicbee for a few years and have a playlist of all my favorite songs with manual sorting. I arrange the playlist so that every time I discover a new song to add, I drag it into the playlist so that it sits at the very top. I've been doing this for years. However, the sorting has now changed for some reason, so now my custom sorting field arranges the songs by artist, and desired sorting order seems lost. Does anybody know how I can fix this? I'm pretty bummed about it, and I would be eternally grateful if anyone can help out. Thank you.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Hello and welcome to the forum gamebounty.
Have you tried sorting by #? By clicking on that field, you can get the playlist sorted by most recently added.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

gamebounty

Hello and welcome to the forum gamebounty.
Have you tried sorting by #? By clicking on that field, you can get the playlist sorted by most recently added.

Yes, that's the field I have always used, but it no longer sorts my songs the way it used to.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
What exactly happens when you click on that field? Does it not alternate between your latest added tracks and the old additions on that playlist?
For me, as you can see on the screenshot, the playlist is sorted exactly the way I'm expecting it to. Number 14 was the last song I added to that playlist.

gamebounty

Now when I click on that field, it arranges them by "date modified." In other words, my "#" field and my "date modified" field are almost identical.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
I have no idea what might be going on there. What version of MusicBee are you using?
I'm on a recent 3.5.8219 P version and all is working fine with me. Perhaps update to that and see if it helps?

I found this from not so long ago (a user reporting something similar): https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36621.0
But as you will read on that thread, you'll notice that the other user, like me also has no problem sorting by the '#' field on the Track Details view.

In any case, I doubt I can be of further assistance and you would have to hope someone else (or Steven, MusicBee's developer) reads this and has any ideas that may help you.

gamebounty

My issue is an odd one for sure. At first, when the "#" sorting field changed, it mimicked the "By Artist" sorting, then I somehow tinkered around and it now mimicks the "date modified" sorting which is a little more useful, but still not ideal. I'll continue to play with it to see what I can do. Thank you for your help.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Before I bow out, can you confirm the following...I just want to make sure I understood you correctly.

1. When you create a static playlist and add songs to it, is the last added song not assigned the highest number in the playlist?
2. When you sort (descending order) the playlist with that '#' field, is MB not showing the song with the highest number on top?

btw, you never stated what version of MusicBee you are currently using (help > about).

Edit:
All along, I've been testing this out using the "select file > right-click > include in playlist" method to add songs to the playlist.
Having read your start-post again, I just noticed that you use the "drag and drop" method instead - which assigns numbers based on where you've dropped the song.
So it's very important that you drop the new song at the very top if you want it to remain there. I suspect you haven't been careful about this detail of late.
Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:53:29 AM by Mayibongwe