Author Topic: support for non-audio files such as documents and images  (Read 3237 times)

hiccup

This has been asked for/about in the past, but I couldn't find a specific wishlist item, so here it is:

It could be interesting and useful to have the option for MusicBee to scan and import non-audio file types such as document and image files.
And then perhaps having file type groups such as 'documents' and 'images', where the user can set the required file type extensions for these categories.

e.g.:

Documents
    .txt
    .doc
    .pdf
    .xlsx
    .epub

Images
    .jpg
    .png
    .psd
    .tiff
    .webp

etc.

I am guessing that if this is to be implemented it would best be called an 'unsupported feature'.
Else people will probably flood the board with all sorts of requests such as asking for internal document and image viewers, support for file type specific metadata, etc.
That would probably be an impossible task and burden on a sole developer.

boroda

+1

it  would be great if "type groups" were implemented as customizable library nodes (along with standard nodes: music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.), and had own layouts/views because every custom node will probably use the own set of (mostly custom) tags. it must be "unsupported feature".

asking for internal document and image viewers
one note: file icons (especially "large icons" in some mb views, e.g. "albums" view) for *images* might be generated by mb, as .net has internal convenient support for loading some types of images (and this feature already exists in mb for album artworks). no special support is needed for other file types. all viewers should be implemented as external apps based on registered windows file type (mb must just open default app for file type, including full screen image viewers).

Zak

• Global Moderator
This is a weird request.  :-X

It could be interesting and useful to have the option for MusicBee to scan and import non-audio file types such as document and image files.
It's taken more than 10 years for Steven to get MusicBee in the shape it is, and that's only when dealing with audio files. A few years ago there was some work done to support video files, and even now I'd still still consider that be an experimental work-in-progress. The time it would take to implement even the most basic support for other file types in MusicBee isn't worth it. There are great projects for managing images and eBooks etc. with years of development behind them that already do a better job than MusicBee ever could.

Else people will probably flood the board with all sorts of requests such as asking for internal document and image viewers, support for file type specific metadata, etc.
That would probably be an impossible task and burden on a sole developer.

MusicBee is only as good at what it does because of its extensive audio metadata support. What do people envision MusicBee doing with Word documents and images etc., especially without using metadata? It seems to me that you'd just end up with a worse version of the Windows File Explorer, if such a thing is possible.

And you can write "unsupported feature" in as big a font as you like - people are still going to ask questions or submit bug reports when something doesn't work.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
i would only consider adding support for additional formats if its some direct benefit to the audio experience. For example, I did add support for viewing PDF files because you can have pdf files for an album.
I dont want to make MB a general document library

phred

• Global Moderator
I dont want to make MB a general document library
I agree 100%.
The ability to display a PDF flag (my request) has greatly enhanced MB. I now can scan booklets that are often included with CDs and have them displayed is great.
As is the ability to have a clickable link field (also my request) to take one to a video of the selected track.

You can currently link existing PDFs and video links to particular tracks/albums.

I would strongly vote against the ability to -manage- other file types. It's called MusicBee for a reason.

Thanks for sticking to the roots of this project.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

What do people envision MusicBee doing with Word documents and images etc., especially without using metadata?
The metadata would be there to make full use of.
It would 'live' in the database/library file.

It would make it possible to use many of MusicBee's strong features such as custom and virtual tags, filtering, grouping, hierarchies, etc.

Sure there are dedicated programs for managing videos, ebooks, documents, images.
They all have their own strong points, but they also have their weaknesses and limitations.

And I don't know many that have the flexibilty, database-like features and interface that MusicBee has.

I still think it would be an interesting idea.
But I also understand (as I said in the start post) that it would cause issues and result in a torrent of questions, requests, and bug reports.

So I also fully understand that it is not going to happen.

At least that has now been established.
And there is now this topic to be found for others that were wondering and interested in the same thing.

BoraBora

The metadata would be there to make full use of.
It would 'live' in the database/library file.
(...)
Sure there are dedicated programs for managing videos, ebooks, documents, images.
They all have their own strong points, but they also have their weaknesses and limitations.
But every kind of document has specific tags that don't exist in audio tags.  Right now, images and PDF are associated to audio files in MB and their multiple specific tags don't need to be supported as they would be if MB had to manage them separately.

I own thousands of digital comics and use ComicRack (sadly abandoned for years). I can organize, group, filter by Series, Volume, Number, Title, Published date, Released date, Crossovers, Imprint, Writer, Penciler, Inker, Colorist, Letterer, Characters etc.  (all these tags are scraped from the ComicVine site). Then would come the need to find dupes, convert etc., all things we can do with audio files in MB.

Documents (Office etc.) I don't know, I only have a few and I don't need  some specialized software. But images, videos, eBooks  have a lot of specific tags too. To support the most used digital files would mean support a huge number of new tags and/or custom tags and some new features you'll find even in the most basic specialized managing software.

As for video, managing them with MB without the ability to play them directly would be pretty much useless. Media boxes have their own integrated managing software and you can even install Kodi or Plex if you wish for something else. The only benefit would be on PC to watch videos from your HD/SSD by opening your video player automatically when you click on a video file in MB. I'm not sure how much people still do this.

Still, if Steven is temporarily bored by MB, I suggest a comic-book manager (joking ;) )

Loka

I am not asking for any additional tags or other things. Just relax the restriction on types of files that can be imported. That is all it needs. Or am i wrong?

Loka

Maybe i was phrasing it wrong. I am not proposing any additional support for other file types, no viewers, no special tags, etc.

All i was asking for, is to drop the restriction on non music and video file types, and maybe support to open whatever is the OS default application when clicking on an imported file. So, almost no extra work to be done.

I Have a large collection of mostly pdf and some doc and html files related to various topics. I searched intensively for apps to organize them (e.g. Tabbles), but none can match the flexibility of MusicBee regarding customizing tags and features like the column browser
Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 04:00:19 PM by Loka

phred

• Global Moderator
All i was asking for, is to drop the restriction on non music and video file types, and maybe support to open whatever is the OS default application when clicking on an imported file. So, almost no extra work to be done.
Perhaps it's the purist in me, but -1 for this request.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

phred, why? anyway this would be just an option, which could be disabled.

phred

• Global Moderator
phred, why? anyway this would be just an option, which could be disabled.
Simply because I'd prefer Steven to spend his limited time on music-related enhancements and fixes. If he adds support for MB opening up all sorts of file types he's going to have to spend more time answering questions when/if it doesn't work as expected.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Loka

Again, there is no need for specific support, just relax a restriction.

Loka

I own thousands of digital comics and use ComicRack (sadly abandoned for years). I can organize, group, filter by Series, Volume, Number, Title, Published date, Released date, Crossovers, Imprint, Writer, Penciler, Inker, Colorist, Letterer, Characters etc.  (all these tags are scraped from the ComicVine site). Then would come the need to find dupes, convert etc., all things we can do with audio files in MB.

Documents (Office etc.) I don't know, I only have a few and I don't need  some specialized software. But images, videos, eBooks  have a lot of specific tags too. To support the most used digital files would mean support a huge number of new tags and/or custom tags and some new features you'll find even in the most basic specialized managing software.

MB already allows for custom tags stored in the MB library. Nothing more would be needed.

As for video, managing them with MB without the ability to play them directly would be pretty much useless.

I would be fully sufficient to use the default windows opener.

The only benefit would be on PC to watch videos from your HD/SSD by opening your video player automatically when you click on a video file in MB. I'm not sure how much people still do this.

I do.

phred

• Global Moderator
Again, there is no need for specific support, just relax a restriction.
Of course there would have to be support. Just because the restriction is removed, how would MB know what application to open when a .docx file is clicked from within MB? Steven would have to add code for file format in order for it to open in the Windows-default application. And what happens when MS Word doesn't exist on the user's PC?

As Steven already said, he'll only consider it if it adds to the audio experience of MB. And this does not.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki