Author Topic: Use MusicBee for various types of documents  (Read 1697 times)

Loka

I already manage my music files and video clips with MusicBee. Works just great. I would also like do manage a few hundred pdf, text  and Word documents with MB. Seems this is not supported. Any plans to open it for all file types?

phred

• Global Moderator
You can currently link existing PDFs and video links to particular tracks/albums.

I would strongly vote against the ability to -manage- other file types. It's called MusicBee for a reason.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

VideoBee
PhotoBee
DocumentsBee

Take my money!  (well, support ;-)

All kidding aside, the fact that there is not one decent (free) desktop solution for managing various types of documents, shows it's probably not something that is fun to create or manage.
All solutions for managing documents (that I know of) are targeted at corporations.
With pricing and/or subscription fees to match.

frankz

Have you looked at Calibre?  It's technically an e-book database manager, but I'm sure you can use it to manage all kinds of documents beyond those.

hiccup

Have you looked at Calibre?  It's technically an e-book database manager, but I'm sure you can use it to manage all kinds of documents beyond those.
Damn.
I have been using Calibre for many years for my ebooks, and never thought of using it for regular documents.
It will indeed work perfectly for those too.

There is also a portable version, so you could use one install for your literature, and another one for other documents.

Loka

MusicBee would be just perfect for my needs. It allows to attach all types of tags (enumerated as well as free text) to a file. It allows me to navigate in my hierarchical folder structure (which Calibre doesn't allow) and its has the column browser. And it is fast!

I tried other tagging applications, e.g. TagSpaces, Tabbles. They all lack free text tags and a columns browser and feel a bit sluggish compared to MB.

In the other hand, i do not all of the enhanced document management features as collaboration, workflow, version and change management etc.. That's what makes them so expensive.

So all i would need, is MusicBee not to restrict the file types and to open files based on the Windows file type associations.
Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:00:16 PM by Loka

hiccup

It allows me to navigate in my hierarchical folder structure (which Calibre doesn't allow)
That can be achieved with Calibre:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html

But the idea of MusicBee being able to scan and import file types other than audio files is an interesting one.

boroda

But the idea of MusicBee being able to scan and import file types other than audio files is an interesting one.
i've already proposed this several years ago (it seems to be very easy to implement. just allow to add any file type to mb without some special treatment of unsupported types).

hiccup

i've already proposed this several years ago (it seems to be very easy to implement. just allow to add any file type to mb without some special treatment of unsupported types).
Is there an existing wishlist topic for this that could be given support to?

hiccup

I couldn't find one so I created one:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36806.0

boroda

it was pm to Steven.

Música

Microsoft OneNote is highly flexible as well, and fairly or fully open as to file formats. MB is already beyond my requirements, and maybe capacities  ;) .

boroda

onenote is distributed with ms office, which is not free. and, to install ms office for the sake of onenote only?

Loka

It allows me to navigate in my hierarchical folder structure (which Calibre doesn't allow)
That can be achieved with Calibre:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html

Thanks, did know that.

However, there is another thing i do not like about Calibre: It duplicates files into its custom store, MB leaves them within their folder structure.

hiccup

However, there is another thing i do not like about Calibre: It duplicates files into its custom store, MB leaves them within their folder structure.
That's true, and I am not crazy about that either.
I don't think Calibre has an option to change that.
I've learned to accept and live with it though.
Pretty much all 'management' software has its own particularities that one will need to accept and adapt to.