Author Topic: file rescan not loading metadata from file  (Read 1145 times)

chastings

I'm having trouble reloading flac tags after modifying them outside of MusicBee. Here's what I'm doing:

1. load flac file in musicbee
2. edit on linux fileserver, update title using metaflac
3. right-click on file, Send To > File Rescan
4. ... nothing, file isn't reloaded and old metadata still used in edit window and playlists

It seems like there's an internal cache of this metadata somewhere, and file rescan isn't updating that cache. Is there a way to clear/force refresh this data apart from File Rescan?

I have found a way to force a refresh, but it only works for one file at a time, and I need to do this a few hundred times. I have no idea why this works:

1. right-click on file, Edit
2. open tag inspector
3. (correct new/edited tags from the file are shown in tag inspector)
4. select last tag, move up (if other tags exist) or make minor edit so "Save" button is enabled
5. click save
6. metadata is properly refreshed, shows updated values in playlists and "tags" tabs from edit window

Any ideas? Seems like File Rescan is the proper way to do what I want to do, but is having an issue.

Steven

• Administrator
file rescan should work.
Can you send me a link to one of the files (before you have updated it with the tag inspector)

chastings

I just sent you a PM with a download link. Contains a file where this happens, and a screen capture of metadata vs. tag inspector.

Steven

• Administrator
I am not having any issues with the file you sent. I loaded it, updated it with MP3 tag and then rescanned it. All updated fields loaded and displayed in all places. Note that -1 will display as blank for the track number.
What MB version are you using? Make sure its the latest from the downloads page

chastings

I'm using MB 3.4.8033 P. I think that's the latest release.

I've been poking at this a little more, and it looks like this behavior only happens when the flac file is stored on an SMB share. The steps this time:

1. create new library
2. add single flac file
3. edit flac year/DATE tag with VLC on Windows box
4. File Rescan

I created a new library to eliminate any potential for residual metadata hanging out from somewhere. And I used VLC to edit tags in case metaflac was doing something strange.

When the file added in #2 is in a mapped share (e.g. Z:\ in windows) or a direct SMB share (\\server\share) the modified metadata does not refresh correctly. But when it's on the local HDD it works as expected.

When you conducted your test, was it on a local disk? My fileserver is a linux box with samba, I'd also like to test this on a Windows SMB share.

Steven

• Administrator
there is no special treatment for files on network shares and if the file loads into musicbee the first time, rescan is doing the same thing and replacing the file.
I have seen problems with SMB shares where the modification date reported back to MB doesnt immediately change even though the file has been updated so as a guess perhaps the file update is not being made available immediately eg. you could confirm windows explorer sees the update and then try rescanning in MB.
Also check the error log in case there is some error occurring

chastings

An error log! I didn't know that was a thing.

When rescanning from a network share:

7/1/2022 12:12:16 AM - 10.0.19043.0 - 3.4.8033.18564P - System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at #=zOjbgzvWwnxLAcS3stvl09uo=.#=zRdjmQzyCn83Dtu0YwQ==(IList`1 #=zgJymtQ8=, Boolean #=zvrjmj$O8sqyd, Boolean #=zpiR73LXNmKXOrJ2IyQ==)
   at #=zrNjkBdV8g3MTjkS7KJtF6ac=.#=ztx$DQT_$yXMg6AS9xQ==(Object #=zpiS1AD4=)

Is this symbol obfuscation of some sort? I don't really know what to do with the stack trace  :)

There is no error when rescanning from a local drive.

Steven

• Administrator
the error doesnt help. Can you update to the latest v3.5 patch version:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

chastings

Well, that seems to have fixed it! No error, rescan is behaving as expected. Thanks for your help.

aniram

Hi,

I want to also reloaded the tags after changed it outside of the program...I checked with "rescan" and that work ( I applicated the patch that you have sending here). But I have an very big colection more than 40000 tracks.... The problem I have is the time to rescan all  the library installed on divers directories.... Is it posssible to rescan only the track or the complete album we have need and not all library rescan?

thanks for your answer

regards

Aniram

boroda

select needed tracks in the main panel, right-click on t hem, send to> file rescan