Author Topic: How do I recover the missing files?  (Read 534 times)

nothing

Hi, I used to use MusicBee 2 years ago and came back recently. The problem is that I changed the path of my music folder to other drive and MusicBee can't recognize many of them. Appromaxitely, half of my music collection is missing. The song title is shown, but it has a dot at the left-hand side instead of the track number. If I click it, it says, "The source file for track "Title" could not be found".
Here are what I've done so far:

1) Re-scan
2) Re-link

But none of them worked. What else should I do?

Plus, since I re-scan whole folder (22,055 files in 163 GB), there are duplicated album covers are shown. Although I managed duplicates, they still remain.
How do I get rid of them at once?
Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:51:03 AM by nothing

frankz

If you only changed the drive of the music folder and rearranged nothing else in the folders below it, then go back to a backup of your library from before you rescanned everything and relink the music file path with the old drive letter at the left and the new drive letter at the right (e.g. C:\ at the left and D:\ at the right).

If a lot of things have changed (folders, file names, etc), then your library is broken and you are better off just starting fresh with a new library IMO.

If you do not have a copy of your library from before you scanned your music files again, I also think you are better off just starting fresh rather than trying to manage 22000 duplicates.  Again IMO.

nothing

If you only changed the drive of the music folder and rearranged nothing else in the folders below it, then go back to a backup of your library from before you rescanned everything and relink the music file path with the old drive letter at the left and the new drive letter at the right (e.g. C:\ at the left and D:\ at the right).

If a lot of things have changed (folders, file names, etc), then your library is broken and you are better off just starting fresh with a new library IMO.

If you do not have a copy of your library from before you scanned your music files again, I also think you are better off just starting fresh rather than trying to manage 22000 duplicates.  Again IMO.
Hi, frankz. Thanks for the answer. I think I should start fresh. How do I do that? Although I clicked the Scan Folders button, it doesn't scan any longer. How do I remove the current library and create new one without losing the files?

frankz

nothing

File->Library->Create New Library
Don't I need to remove the current library before doing it?