Author Topic: iPod & iPhone Driver Plugin 2.0  (Read 17842 times)

boroda

Thank you again! This made some progress, but there's a new error. "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. An unknown error occurred (0xE800000A)."
does this happen too if you use itunes manually (without mb and plugin)?

BoringName

Thank you again! This made some progress, but there's a new error. "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. An unknown error occurred (0xE800000A)." I did some Googling on this one and have tried some of the steps, I deleted the Lockdown folder in ProgramData

Looks like you found the same video I did when I googled it.

From what I can tell, I think you are going to need at least iTunes version 12.9 as this seemed to be an error that occurred with iPhone X users and 12.9 fixed it for them. As you are on iPhone 13 you might need an even newer version.

The delete bug can be worked around to some degree, I guess it really depends what you are syncing for how inconvenient the bug will be.
1. If you don't sync any playlists you should be ok. There is a worse bug I had to work around so when a playlist is synced, the plugin deletes it out of iTunes first before adding it back in again. This can trigger the delete bug. If you only sync one or two playlists, you might not encounter the bug very often.
2. Untick the option to delete items removed from the sync. Obviously this will leave them in iTunes.
3. If you still wish to remove items or you sync a lot of playlists, you can delete them manually from iTunes first before running the sync. But you need to be careful not to lose playcounts/ratings. So it takes a bit of forward planning.
    3a. before you remove any songs make sure you have done a successful sync to get the play counts into music bee. If you are having issues with playlists causing the delete bug you can manually delete them in iTunes before you star the sync. Just open iTunes separately, delete the playlists (this wont remove the songs), close iTunes and run the plugin.
    3b. Once you have the play counts in Music Bee, make your changes to the playlists/songs in Music Bee. Open iTunes manually and remove any songs that you removed from the sync in Music Bee, close iTunes then run the plugin.

If you sync your entire library and never delete anything, you should not encounter the bug at all.

Randy2727

Thank you again! This made some progress, but there's a new error. "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. An unknown error occurred (0xE800000A)."
does this happen too if you use itunes manually (without mb and plugin)?

Unfortunately it was doing this with a manual iTunes launch as well.

Thank you again! This made some progress, but there's a new error. "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. An unknown error occurred (0xE800000A)." I did some Googling on this one and have tried some of the steps, I deleted the Lockdown folder in ProgramData

Looks like you found the same video I did when I googled it.

From what I can tell, I think you are going to need at least iTunes version 12.9 as this seemed to be an error that occurred with iPhone X users and 12.9 fixed it for them. As you are on iPhone 13 you might need an even newer version.

The delete bug can be worked around to some degree, I guess it really depends what you are syncing for how inconvenient the bug will be.
1. If you don't sync any playlists you should be ok. There is a worse bug I had to work around so when a playlist is synced, the plugin deletes it out of iTunes first before adding it back in again. This can trigger the delete bug. If you only sync one or two playlists, you might not encounter the bug very often.
2. Untick the option to delete items removed from the sync. Obviously this will leave them in iTunes.
3. If you still wish to remove items or you sync a lot of playlists, you can delete them manually from iTunes first before running the sync. But you need to be careful not to lose playcounts/ratings. So it takes a bit of forward planning.
    3a. before you remove any songs make sure you have done a successful sync to get the play counts into music bee. If you are having issues with playlists causing the delete bug you can manually delete them in iTunes before you star the sync. Just open iTunes separately, delete the playlists (this wont remove the songs), close iTunes and run the plugin.
    3b. Once you have the play counts in Music Bee, make your changes to the playlists/songs in Music Bee. Open iTunes manually and remove any songs that you removed from the sync in Music Bee, close iTunes then run the plugin.

If you sync your entire library and never delete anything, you should not encounter the bug at all.

Sorry for the delay responding here, it's been a bit of a hectic week! I ended up upgrading to the current version of iTunes and was able to sync up the songs that were previously causing troubles because they were in FLAC format.

It sounds like the bug won't be too much of an issue for me. I'm currently syncing up my entire library and no playlists. Eventually that will have to change, as my phone isn't going to be able to hold it all forever, but I'd say that's a ways off right now. I'm very happy with the setup either way though. Really glad I'm able to use Music Bee as the main software and not have to try to juggle iTunes separately for my phone.

Thank you again for all your help and for making this plugin!

One last thing, there is a folder under MusicBee Portable\AppData called iPod & iPhone Driver that is about the size of my library. This is to be expected right? Just wondering if I can delete it to free up space if it's not needed.

BoringName

One last thing, there is a folder under MusicBee Portable\AppData called iPod & iPhone Driver that is about the size of my library. This is to be expected right? Just wondering if I can delete it to free up space if it's not needed.

This folder is where the re-encoded FLAC files are stored during the sync. The encoding is handled by MusicBee and I don't know if it checks if the file exists or just overwrites it each sync. I have a feeling it just overwrites it as anytime I have synced FLAC files it always takes a long time,  it would be quicker if it was skipping files that were already in that folder.

So you can delete them but just be aware they will be recreated every time you do a sync even if they already exist in itunes as the encoding happens before the check to see if it needs to be synced, I can't do anything about that.

The only way to avoid it completely is to convert your library to ALAC.

Glad you got it working. I should probably change some of the info in the OP and the addon page to let people know Iphone X and higher might need a higher version of iTunes. Bloody Apple, I can't believe how much crap that needs to be worked around. Then again, I guess expecting older versions of iTunes to support new hardware is asking a bit much.

uberraoul

Thanks. Tried this plugin but to know avail. I have an ipod touch 2nd gen. When I try to transfer tracks i get the following error message..

Copy Failed The request is not supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032)

It's the same message i was getting before installing the plugin

BoringName

It's the same message i was getting before installing the plugin

Did you follow the instructions on using the plugin listed in the first post of this thread and the addon page?

Or did you install the plugin and just try and sync the same way in MusicBee?

I'll be very surprised if you didn't do the latter. So read the first post in this thread and try the former then post back here and I'll see if I can help.

Nephraxis

I've set up the ipod and iphone driver by following the instructions here, but I've been having the "storage folder no longer exists" issue when I hit Synchronise. I know that someone said that the solution was to add a Music folder to my iPhone 13's internal storage and that makes sense, but I haven't been able to actually do that. I haven't found a way to do it in my iPhone, and Windows Explorer will let me access storage but not add any new folders. I also want to make sure the Music app can read my music from wherever it is. Can anyone provide any information on this?

BoringName

I've set up the ipod and iphone driver by following the instructions here, but I've been having the "storage folder no longer exists" issue when I hit Synchronise.

With the plugin MusicBee doesn't directly communicate with the iPhone, it synchronises with iTunes and iTunes syncs with the iPhone.

Which device are you selecting when you do the synchronise? You should be selecting the iPod & iPhone Driver device, that's not really clear in the instructions.
Are you able to sync your iPhone with iTunes separate from MusicBee ie) with MusicBee closed?

Nephraxis

That was the issue. I was able to use the driver to sync Musicbee with iTunes and use iTunes to sync with my phone. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, thanks for working on this plugin. Now that I've got it working, this is exactly what I needed

Nephraxis

I have another issue: I'm able to sync my music to my iPhone 13 by syncing the driver, but my playlists are coming through on a seemingly random basis. I'm only syncing some of my playlists because I have a large number of smart playlists that I don't want on my phone. But no matter what playlists I opt to synchronise, only a portion of the playlists actually make it to my phone and I can't see any discernible pattern that determines which get synchronized and which don't.

BoringName

I'm away from home at the moment so can't look over the code. Won't be home for a week.

If you read through the thread there is a post about what versions work and what don't.

Spoiler alert: itunes has some pretty bad bugs in the API that change between versions.

There is one version that works properly with the plugin but I don't think it supports iphone 13.

Unfortunately it's not something I can fix, I've done all the workarounds I can to get around the bugs.

Nephraxis

If anyone is having my previous issue and looking for a workaround, I was able to get my playlists into my iphone 13 by manually recreating the playlists in iTunes. When you sync with the iphone driver normally, the playlists are all created in itunes but they aren't filled with songs and the empty ones don't get synced. But if you later go into itunes and manually drag all of the songs in your itunes library into the playlists, they will sync with your iphone like normal. It's a pain and it means that you can't use auto playlists to do all that work for you, but if you're willing to put the effort in it'll at least work.

youngtrae96

MusicBee v3.5.8384.15210P  (Win10.0), 6 Jan 2023 0:36:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.ITunes.Initialise()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

BoringName

MusicBee v3.5.8384.15210P  (Win10.0), 6 Jan 2023 0:36:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.ITunes.Initialise()

In future you might want to provide a little more info......

But I'm going to guess you either don't have iTunes installed or you have the Microsoft Store version. This plugin does not work with the Microsoft Store version of iTunes. There is information about which version is the best on the first page of this thread.

edit: And yes, I should clean it up a bit so it actually reports iTunes is missing instead of just throwing an error. I do have plans to rewrite the plugin so syncing doesn't take as long but that won't be happening for a while.

youngtrae96

I had the windows version installed, and I fixed it