Author Topic: iPod & iPhone Driver Plugin 2.0  (Read 18286 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
and I fixed it
It would helpful to anyone else who comes across this thread if you stated what you did to fix the issue.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

youngtrae96

Installing the 64x version, but I'm having a new problem of resyncing. I try to sync again and it gets aborted

carib909

I cannot get the music files on  my Iphone to show so I can Select All to Manage Duplicates. I have enabled the Iphone/Ipad driver.

boroda

post this issue on plugin's topic.

p.s. the plugin (which is now maintained by another developer, not by me) deals with local itunes library, not with music on iphone. you can try to manually force sync iphone with itunes using itunes.

BuzzyOrange

Hey so I tried this plugin on my windows pc, deleted hours of work organizing my itunes library and when I use it I get this message : RPC server not available (exception HRESULT : 0x800706BA). What should I do to not have done all this in vain and be able to automatically sync my flacs from musicbee to my ipod ? thanks  :)

boroda

Most likely, it's a problem with your Windows settings or installation.

BuzzyOrange

I've heard it may be linked to firewall issues. Is anyone here able to run this plugin ? If so, do you have some "RPC" service running when doing so or did you have to do something specific with your firewall ?

boroda

the plugin itself is not using RPC or network at all. i'm not sure about the latest iTunes versions, but when i was testing version 1.0 of the plugin with iTunes 9, no network or RPC was required.

BuzzyOrange

Actually that problem dissapeared after restarting the whole thing  :-\
I have a new problem however : I'm trying to change the path where files are saved when syncing (and when using on the fly conversion but I don't think it matters when talking about the path) because I don't have enough space on the drive the files are currently getting copied to. After some research I tried editing musicbee's ini file to change the plugin's device's media storage path, but it didn't change anything. How can I do that ?
Alternatively, being able to sync a manual selection would be good, better even, as I don't plan on keeping the copies after syncing, and I don't want to have to go through that whole "convert, sync and delete" process in loop for the sake of my time and of my ssd's lifetime. Is there a way to do that ?

boroda

i've started developing this plugin many years ago, abandoned it, and this plugin has been resurrected as "version 2.0" by the user BoringName, so i'm can't give your qualified answer, but i don't think that the plugin temp folder can be changed without source code modification (this folder must be inside the MB AppData folder, i.e. %AppData%\MusicBee if you are using the MB installer version).

i could advise you to create a symbolic link (or junction) to the drive/folder you want instead of that temp folder. i can't recall the name of the temp folder, but it must contain the words "ipod", "iphone". you will be able to find it yourself.

you can easily create symbolic link/junction using e.g. Link Shell Extension
Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 04:56:04 PM by boroda

BuzzyOrange

Creating a symbolic link worked, thank you for your advice ! I'm having one last issue though. The sync process is really slow (to the point that my pc turned off while doing it) and I think it would really help if the synced song selection was more accurate. I suppose I can use playlists to sync only specific albums or something like that, but I wanted to know if there is a way for the plugin to check if some of the tracks synced previously can be skipped or not. Is it possible ?
Anyways, thanks a lot for working on this plugin, it's neat.

BuzzyOrange

Actually I went to sleep between these two messages and turns out some songs seem to be too long to get copied properly, so I end up with a lot of errors, and most importantly, my windows temp folder was filled with 10 gigs of musicbee temp files, which could explain previous problem I guess ?

edit : also when syncing, when musicbee stumbles upon a flac + cue album, it tries to sync both the split flacs (as instructed in the settings) and the whole flac. Is there a way to prevent this kind of dumb behaviour without having to delete the original flac+cue ?
Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 07:55:43 AM by BuzzyOrange

BoringName

So I'm back..... Surprise!

Thanks Boroda for helping people on this plugin. I'm going to spend the next few weeks refreshing my memory on the musicbee plugins I was working on.

But being honest I will probably focus on the coverflow plugin over this one. I initially did this one so my partner could sync her iPod  classic and it currently works for her. Most of the issues are Itunes related and I can't do anything about that. The start of the thread lists which iTunes versions to use for maximum compatibility. But it's no guarantee, even now my partner gets the occasional song that won't sync to iTunes and nothing I can do will make it sync. It's just some stupid quirk with the iTunes API which Apple will never fix.

BoringName

Just going over some old posts.

Don't use this plugin if you still use iTunes and have anything in iTunes of importance. This is a plugin for Musicbee that uses iTunes as an intermediary step to sync things from Musicbee to apple devices. It will completely overwrite anything that is currently in your iTunes library. It might leave songs in place but it will certainly delete all your playlists and create new ones to match Musicbee.

Just a few pointers -
If you delete a song in Musicbee or change it's file location, you should manually delete this from iTunes to prevent errors when it syncs to your device. There is no way to automate removing deleted files from iTunes without making every sync take as long as the initial sync, nobody wants that.

I used to think long path names caused issues with some songs syncing but I'm not sure that is the case, I've had songs not work where other songs with longer paths did. I think longer paths just give a higher chance to come up with a character combination iTunes doesn't like. Accented characters do have a higher chance to cause issues. I would recommend renaming any songs with accented characters to use standard. eg) change é to e

You probably need to accept the fact some songs just will not sync. Ive had 2 songs virtually identical to each other. Same bitrate, format and path length, no special characters in the name. One works and one doesn't, nothing would make it sync. It doesn't happen often,  just something to be aware of.

The plugin will increment your play counts in Musicbee but set everything in iTunes to zero after a sync which goes back to the first sentence in this post.

It's probably better to just sync a couple of playlists instead of your entire library. The bigger the file count the higher the chance iTunes will have issues syncing a particular song.

If you have a big FLAC library, maybe consider converting them all the ALAC. That way the plugin won't have to spend time converting them all on the fly. When converting on the fly it has to create a temp file and if you are syncing a large library that could be a lot of unnecessary writes to your SSD.

Also, the iTunes Api is buggy as hell. I had to do a lot of workarounds just to get this thing to be functional and it's why I have the best version of itunes to use on the first page of this thread. These are issues that will never be fixed.

This is how I do a sync on my partners modified IPod Classic. She syncs her entire library to it so it's a big sync (39,000) songs.

- Turn the driver on in Music Bee
- After iTunes starts and it prompts to plugin the iPod I plug it in.
- At this point I wait a while as iTunes will sync with the iPod. I make sure it's finished syncing before I go to the next step.
- Start the sync in Music Bee
- If she's added a lot of music between syncs this can take a while as adding new songs is the slowest part of the process. (because the iTunes Api blows.)
- If there isn't much new music it takes about 20 minutes. That's reading the music off an NVME, it used to be a fair slower on a mechanical drive.
- If no errors popup, iTunes should do another sync with the iPod at the end of the process. I make sure that finishes, unplug the iPod and close everything down.
- If there is an error (which tends to happen more often now). This usually interrupts the importing of play counts and you have to wait quite a long time for the summary to pop up.
- I sort the iTunes library by play count. If any songs have more than 0 for a play count, I start the whole process again but click to work in offline mode and leave the iPod unplugged.
- After 20 minutes or so it will probably error again but once it's finished usually all the play counts have been synced. Otherwise back to step one for a third go....

It would be simpler to just remove the song causing issues from the sync but my partner wants ALL her music on there. I've also had some songs where the iTunes Api returned an error code that it failed to add the song but it did indeed add the song... did I mention how crap the iTunes Api is?

I might look at improving the error handling down the track but that's not going to be for quite a while.

BoringName

Just going through an old library of my dads. It has some horrid spelling mistakes and strange file names, he must of downloaded it from somewhere. A good chunk of them failed to sync so I thought it would be good to go through and figure out what was stopping them.
It seems anything with apostrophes, commas and ampersands (&) in the filename would fail.

I also had a few that appeared to be failing simply because they were spelled wrong which was bizarre. Here is a few examples of what it was originally and what I changed it to that worked.
memorys are made of this.mp3 - memories are made of this.mp3
the isralites.mp3 - the israelites.mp3
when your in love witha beauti.mp3 - when youre in love with a beautiful woman.mp3
saacrifice.mp3 - sacrifice.mp3

Thinking that can't be right I did a test with the following filename.
i love eo love.mp3

I changed it to "i love to love.mp3" relocated it in Musicbee then changed it back to "I love eo love.mp3", relocated it again and this synced successfully.

So I guess whatever the problem is gets solved just by relocating it in Musicbee. All I did was change the file name, attempt to edit the song in Musicbee which would display an error that the file could not be found. Then I would close the window and double click the song, MusicBee would prompt me to locate the file. This updated all the song info but maintained the play count.

Another thing I noticed is when performing the sync, make sure iTunes is showing songs and not albums. For whatever reason it's 3x faster if you have songs displaying in the iTunes window. You can test it while doing a sync, click on "albums" in iTunes and then "songs". Just another stupid quirk of the iTunes API.

edit:
And another strange one. I had a song in a folder "zager & evans". This synced successfully originally but when I changed the song file name to fix a spelling mistake, I left the ampersand in the folder name. When relocating in Musicbee, it now showed an album cover in Musicbee that wasn't displaying previously. It's embedded in the file. It now wouldn't sync. So I changed the folder name to "zager and evans" and relocated it again. This time it synced.
Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:03:23 PM by BoringName