Author Topic: Chiptune/ tracker module support  (Read 22959 times)

metroandroid

Started with just the files that I had tried but added some more in various more common formats from different sites, so that you can test and refer to them later as needed. Some have multiple subsongs within each file (certain .nsf and .gbs files for instance). Wasn't sure if it supports minipsf/2 or miniusf (all usf rips are miniusf+usflib, many psf rips are minipsf+psflib, and relatively fewer psf2 rips are minipsf2+psf2lib), so I added those in too. I was able to confirm all play correctly in XMPlay except for possibly the .gym files (didn't have the plugin for those), but .gym has been obsoleted by .vgm and are harder to find nowadays.

Example files

Steven

• Administrator
I played a random selection of those linked tracks without issue. Make sure basszxtune.dll is in the same folder as MusicBee.exe. Also check you have the C runtime installed (eg. MSVCRT.DLL in your windows system32 folder)

metroandroid

I have msvcrt.dll in system32, have MSVC++ Redistributables installed, basszxtune.dll is in the same folder as MusicBee.exe, tried using the installer instead of portable, tried just the .dll on its own and then including the 3.3 patch (not sure if supposed to use or outdated) on the latest version, it still doesn't work. Streamed music still plays fine.

Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:29:02 PM by metroandroid

vagrant

Hi Steven, I'm having exactly the same problem as metroandroid - none of the filetypes are recognized.
I have the portable version installed with basszxtune.dll in its root directory, and C runtimes are installed.. same error as above.
Tested with .sid and .pt3 files.
Also I noticed there is no reference to these filetypes in configuration.xml

ner0p

A similar situation here.
This is the first time I'm trying to play chiptunes in MusicBee, I'm using the latest version along with basszxtune v2.4.9 (win-x86_64), some chiptune formats work, others don't.
For example, XM files play fine but SID do not, says the file format is unsupported or corrupted.

Here's an example: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0funvo5pefd8s07/The_Beatles_Hey_Jude.sid/file

vagrant

XM, mod, it, s3m and a few others were already supported in the base build, only the filetypes associated with basszxtune.dll aren't working.

oxysoft

Also not working for me in the latest version MusicBee 3.3.7310 P with the basszxtune 2.49 dll in the same folder. None of the file extensions supported by basszxtune seem to be recognized, neither in library nor manually by dragging into 'now playing'. vgm, vgz, etc. I did a clean portable install to make sure nothing is wrong with my configuration. Sucks, I really want to save space by using these pure sound chip formats instead of blowing up the file sizes with destructive MP3.

Alsweider

I have tried to import a collection of .SID files and various tracker files (.MOD, .XM, .S3M, .SC68), all in all about 58000 files (1 GB), mainly the High Voltage SID Collection. The rescanning of my music library folders, now including the new files, caused the importer to freeze (every time at 75806 of 95736 files scanned, 32480 new files added) and once I even got a System.OutOfMemoryException error in the log. The problem could be either the amount of files, or the basszxtune.dll not recognising a specific format (I found that .SC68 files are not imported), or a specific file in one of the folders, I don't know. I only know that without the chiptune/tracker folders the scan runs through without any problem. I have cancelled the process because nothing moved for an hour. Cancelling lead to another error message: A background process could not be closed. I restarted MusicBee as recommended and tried to scan my music folder again. This didn't improve anything, I couldn't import all of the tunes.  

Now for the files that were actually imported: Playable were .MOD, .XM and .S3M files and scrobbling to Last.fm works for the files with proper tags and the appropriate duration > 30 seconds.
.SID files were imported as well, but they can neither be played nor scrobbled. Trying to play a .SID leads to an error message stating it's either an unsupported format or a broken file, which I can easily falsify: Using Foobar2000 with SID Decoder caused no problem at all and the Audioscrobbler did scrobble the .SID tracks properly.

olazzzzz

Thanks @Steven! I have a sizeable Video Game Music library, and being able to use this plugin helps reducing the file sizes dramatically (as I don't longer need .mp3)
After installing the Chiptunes/ Tracker Module Support, I realized that unfortunately N64 games, whose file extension is .miniusf, accompanied by a larger .usflib file, are not recognized.
I read online that there are plugins for winamp and foobar that can make those files compatible, but the plugins are not recognized by MB (I have tried).
Is there any way to make this work?
Thanks!

kjesso

Anyone know where MusicBee stores the tag information for these files (ex: NSF, VGM, SPC)? Before upgrading MusicBee and re-creating my music library, I had all my game music tracks organized with tag information, which is now gone. I realize it isn't possible to store tag details for these files in the file themselves like MP3 files, etc.

hiccup

Anyone know where MusicBee stores the tag information for these files (ex: NSF, VGM, SPC)?
I have no experience with those file types, but when tags are not stored in the files they will be saved in MusicBee's database file, which can not be accessed or modified by other software.

What you can do, after you have tagged your files, is use the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tool plugin to create a backup of the tags of your files, which you could later use to restore them in case of a mishap or re-install of MusicBee.

I'm not sure how easy or reliable that is, but I'm sure you can find more info on that searching the AT&RT plugin board.

kjesso

@hiccup, thanks this advanced tag tool will come in handy in the future. However, in this case I needed a way to restore the tag information from a backup. Before I re-created my library I had made a manual backup of the MusicBee files I was aware of, which included the "MusicBeeLibrary.mbl" file. This file contained my tag information. I then used this python script to extract all tag information from the backup file into a JSON file. I know a little bit of python, but am more comfortable in PowerShell, so I used that to parse the JSON file to extract all the relevant tracks and tag information.

hiccup

I know a little bit of python, but am more comfortable in PowerShell, so I used that to parse the JSON file to extract all the relevant tracks and tag information.
So you did manage to extract that tagging info from MusicBee's database file?
And restore it back to another database file?
That is clever, I was not aware that could be done.
Well done, and thanks for the feedback.

edit
I wasn't aware that you still had the old database file available.
If this python/json trickery doesn't work well, you could probably use the AT&RT plugin on that previous MusicBee install to backup the tags and then import them into your new install?
Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:30:12 AM by hiccup

kjesso

@hiccup, yes I was able to extract all the tag info from the MusicBee's database file with that python script. It wasn't a lot, but I really liked how I had everything named and organized before, so I just needed some of the tag info. I ended up using the AT&RT plugin to do most of the renaming, since the folder and file names already had the album, track # and title descriptions, so thanks again for the suggestion. I could have used the output from the script and paste in onto the tracks using the AT&RT plugin, but it was just easier getting the main tag info from the folder and file names in this case. The rest of my work came down to restoring my custom sorting display, which I fortunately had a screenshot of from when I first set it up about 1.5 years ago.
Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:48:23 PM by kjesso