Author Topic: Sync to USB drive always copies all files  (Read 3202 times)

gsnde

I am syncing playlists to USB drives. Every time all files are synced, which is very time consuming for 1607 tracks.
A binary file compare shows that both the sources files on my hard disk and the synced files on the USB drive are binary identical.
On further investigation I found that the changed timestamp of the files on the USB drive differs for one second from the original.
Like on the hard disk the timestamp is 16:13:39 and on the synced file it is 16:39:40.

This happens for every file on every sync. Any idea what I can do to stop this from happening? Many thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gsnde

V.3.4.8033 installed from MusicBeeSetup_3_4_Update2.exe

gsnde

Just realized from your signature that there is a beta version out. Let me try this one and report back.

phred

• Global Moderator
Just realized from your signature that there is a beta version out. Let me try this one and report back.
That would've been my suggestion. Let us know how you make out.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gsnde

I was so hopeful, but sadly exactly the same issue. All synced files have one seconds difference.

Steven

• Administrator
MB will copy a file if
- it doesnt exist on the device using the naming template in the sync settings
- the file modification (not creation) time of the file on your computer is greater than the file modification time on the device
- there is a sync status file in the MusicBee appdata folder - something like: usb#vid_... .dat which holds the date/time the device was last synced for your computer. If the source file modification date is after that then the file will get copied to the device

one of the above conditions will be occurring

edit:
its occurred to me that what could be happening is the device id is changing every time. If thats the case you would have multiple usb#vid_... .dat files in the musicbee appdata folder
Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 03:45:36 AM by Steven

gsnde

I think the reason is clear: the modification timestamp differs 1 second for each file. The question is why does it differ? The files are binary identical.

I will have a look at the sync status files

Steven

• Administrator
no the reason is not clear. According to the information you provided the device files have a modification date < than the equivalent computer file

gsnde

Sorry, I did not read your statement correctly.

I was assuming that a copy is triggered when the timestamp differs between source and target. But you are saying that it is only triggered when the source is newer than the target.

For testing purpose I manually set the timestamp identically to the source files timestamp. Even then the sync is taking place.

Regarding your idea with the changing device ID: I recognize only these files related to the USB sticks I tested with:  "HD_60GB.mbl" and "Removable DiskI.mbl".  The names equals the USB labels. I cannot find any of the dat files you have mentioned, neither in the local nor roaming part of MusicBees appdata folders.

Edit: it also does not matter if the USB stick is formated with NTFS or exFat. My OS is Windows 11 21H2 22000.708.
Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 08:41:48 AM by gsnde

Steven

• Administrator
there should be a .dat file and if its not there then that would cause all files to sync
I have made a change to handle that
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

gsnde

Many thanks, Steven.

This did the trick. The *.dat files still are not being created. Will this change go into the 3.5 Beta as well?

Again, many thanks, this makes my life much easier!

Steven

• Administrator
are you happy to run a debug version so i can see why the file is not being created?

Steven

• Administrator
https://mega.nz/file/cg8T3QwB#HyBKo6ZI9aNb2AQ5OhTQ-TxOXGQigJnX86HPuMVaVRg
unzip and replace musicbee.exe

after running the sync, can you send me the entries at the end of the error log (help/ support/ view error log)