Author Topic: "Year" and "Original Year" tag reading parity  (Read 620 times)

duncebee

Title. When MusicBee sorts albums by year it looks at a tag like, say, "1 June 1967" and correctly extracts the date (June 1st) and year (1967) from that. If it sorts by original year and reads a tag like "21 May 1997" it takes away "21" as if it was the year and ignores the rest. Clearly, MusicBee is not handling these tags the same way. Can this be addressed? Thanks.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I think you have misdiagnosed the cause of your issue.

As shown in the Fields EditorEdit > Edit Preferences > Tags (2) > Configure Fields... – MusicBee recognises OriginalYear as a Date.

We can check this using a handful of test files, with Original Year and Year values set in different formats for different file types, shown here in Mp3tag:

Set up simple virtual tags in MusicBee that parse the different date formats for Original Year and Year:
Code
$Date(<Original Year>,d MMM yyyy)
$Date(<Year>,d MMM yyyy)

The same tracks in MusicBee show the different date formats are all being parsed correctly:

Date parsing is also dependent on your computer's regional settings.

If you're not seeing that behaviour, perhaps something else is configured incorrectly. If you describe what you're expecting vs. what you're seeing, with some accompanying screenshots of pertinent tag values and settings, someone will help you identify why it isn't working.

(A moderator may move this thread from the Wishlist to Questions)
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
there is an issue with original date which is being treated as a string for sorting. I will make a fix available in the next update

Zak

• Global Moderator
Dang. There's 30 minutes of my day I won't get back.
Bee excellent to each other...