Author Topic: file organization  (Read 355 times)

unified field

I'm newly setting up musicbee and despite poking all around the program and searching for online answers, I cannot solve some basic organization.  I have my music library on a secondary drive for storage space considerations (half a terabyte).  I access it via Computer>Secondary Drive>MusicLibrary>Genre>Artist-Album.

When I drag an album to Playing Tracks, the Album Tracks names will show correctly,  but I will get No Cover Art (there are indeed no cover art files saved with the albums), and Unknown Artist  and Unknown Album. A correct display of Artist Name and Album Title is what I'm looking for.

My current folder hierarchy and file-naming convention goes like this example:
Library FOLDER titled: My Music
Genre SUBFOLDER titled:  Blues
Artist/Album SUBFOLDER titled: Junior Wells-Better Off With The Blues
                                                           Folder contents are album tracks with file names denoting the track name like this: 01 Cry For Me Baby

Note that the Artist/Album folder has a filename where the Artist Name and the Album Name are separated by a hyphen.  I've made many attempts to get a template to follow this structure, without success.  I can see why I might need to separate Artist and Album into separate folders - the Playing Tracks window seems to require it.  I would otherwise have not problem with the Album Title field in a template showing as Artist-Title per my current filename convention.  The tracks have the track numbers in the name so they will sort appropriately in a conventional filing structure, and that should eliminate the need for a track# field.

If someone could give some straightforward direction on getting right file structure or template, that would be great.

Thanks,
Peter

phred

• Global Moderator
It sounds like your files are not tagged properly. Or at all.
In order to get MB to display the artist and album, you need to tag your files.
Check the Wiki for information on tagging.

You could also try the option to infer the tags from the filename.
Select the albums/tracks you want > right-click > auto-tag by track > infer and update tags from filename.
I STRONGLY suggest starting with one or two tracks at a time until your certain the results your getting are the results you want.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here