Author Topic: New User, Weird Glitch  (Read 522 times)

brainbent

Loving MB, after years of growing frustrated with MediaMonkey5's limitations and bugs...  :-*

Got a weird glitch showing in the Biography bit of of the Now Playing screen, which (I think) is displayed when an artist doesn't have a bio online to scrape?

Code
<!-- 
NewPP limit report
Parsed by mw1450
Cached time: 20220529131050
Cache expiry: 1814400
Reduced expiry: false
Complications: []
CPU time usage: 0.033 seconds
Real time usage: 0.043 seconds
Preprocessor visited node count: 65/1000000
Post‐expand include size: 2713/2097152 bytes
Template argument size: 139/2097152 bytes
Highest expansion depth: 8/100
Expensive parser function count: 0/500
Unstrip recursion depth: 0/20
Unstrip post‐expand size: 0/5000000 bytes
Lua time usage: 0.007/10.000 seconds
Lua memory usage: 600629/52428800 bytes
Number of Wikibase entities loaded: 0/400
-->
<!--
Transclusion expansion time report (%,ms,calls,template)
100.00%   36.983      1 Template:R_from_misspelling
100.00%   36.983      1 -total
 88.39%   32.689      1 Template:Redirect_template
  7.59%    2.807      1 Template:Tl
  4.88%    1.804      1 Template:Main_other
  4.48%    1.656      1 Template:C
-->"

Any suggestions on how I can stop this happening, other than manually adding bios for all the unknown artists I have in my 19.8k library, which will take a while...  :P

Thanks!

Serenity x

kjesso

I started getting the same in the bio for one of my artists in the "NOW PLAYING" section after I changed the artist name by editing all the tags from "Namco" to "Namco Bandai". My artist images were also no longer loading, since I setup custom images to display rather than relying on the ones automatically found via the internet. I managed to fix the issue with the custom images, so they are working again by fixing the file names, but I'm still digging into why the artist bio is sill showing the "NewPP limit report" code.

There is a work around you can do to fix it by just manually entering whatever you want in the artist bio file [c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistData\Namco Bandai.bio.dat], then close and re-open MusicBee. If you want nothing to display for just this bio then you can put one blank space inside the file, since leaving the file completely empty will still bring back the "NewPP limit report" code. Alternatively you can also just rename the artist for each track inside the "tags" by changing a letter or adding an extra character, etc. I guess it's holding onto some cached file somewhere, but no idea where or what that is. Out of curiosity, what is the name of the artist in your MusicBee that has this problem? I wonder if it has to do with the way it's searching online rather than something locally on the computer.

Some troubleshooting I've done so far was completely deleting the "%LocalAppData%\MusicBee\" and "%AppData%\MusicBee\" folders, closing and re-opening MusicBee. I also searched through all the files in my %AppData% and %LocalAppData% folders along with my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER hives for reference to "Bandai", but found nothing useful for a proper fix. I guess next I can do a complete uninstall, make sure no old files for MusicBee are hanging around and reboot then re-install, but it would be nice to know what specifically is causing the "NewPP limit report" code to return.

Here is what I see in my artist bio:
Code
<!-- 
NewPP limit report
Parsed by mw1444
Cached time: 20220526223813
Cache expiry: 1814400
Reduced expiry: false
Complications: []
CPU time usage: 0.001 seconds
Real time usage: 0.001 seconds
Preprocessor visited node count: 0/1000000
Post‐expand include size: 0/2097152 bytes
Template argument size: 0/2097152 bytes
Highest expansion depth: 0/100
Expensive parser function count: 0/500
Unstrip recursion depth: 0/20
Unstrip post‐expand size: 0/5000000 bytes
Number of Wikibase entities loaded: 0/400
-->
<!--
Transclusion expansion time report (%,ms,calls,template)
100.00%    0.000      1 -total
-->"

UPDATE: Ok I see now where the biographies are coming from as per this release note via https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=27074.0:
as a fallback wikipedia is used if last.fm artist biography fails - however wikipedia is not ideal as its not specifically focused on music/  artists and i am expecting there will be some cases of rubbish results
So yeah this is why "Namco Bandai" isn't found and it gives this "NewPP limit report" code error. When I updated the artist name in the "tags" to "Bandai Namco Entertainment" the info from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai_Namco_Entertainment) is displayed in the "NOW PLAYING" bio section. Of course you can also just turn off the panel where the biography appears from within "Arrange Panels..." if you don't want it to show.

Maybe you knew all this I stated here already or maybe I completely didn't understand the issue. How many artists are displaying this "NewPP limit report" code rather than a proper biography? If the text in the "artist" field within the "tags" isn't found on last.fm or Wikipedia, what would you propose as an alternative source of artists biographies? If needing a custom solution, I know it should be possible to at minimum to write a script that connects into some other source's API to grab an artists biography and use that to generate a custom biography for each artist you specify from an input file, or perhaps there is a way via a plugin that I'm not currently aware of as I'm also new to using MusicBee.
Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 07:47:51 AM by kjesso

brainbent

Just needs a catch-all "No Biography Found. Click to add one." to the bio section, which is displayed when nothing is returned from the scrape...

Steven

• Administrator
Just needs a catch-all "No Biography Found. Click to add one." to the bio section, which is displayed when nothing is returned from the scrape...
That message is not set by MB - its the result from whichever provider MB retrieved the data from.
You can right click the artist bio panel (in the main application window not the Now Playing tab) and edit the text

kjesso

Ok I think I understand what you want. When that code is displayed in place of a missing biography it doesn't say something like "No biography found" and then give you an option to type one in manually, so it's more obvious, if that's what you mean? It sounded like you wanted to do this for many artists when you mentioned the "19.8k library". If it's just for a few missing biographies, you can either right-click where the error code is and select "Edit Biography", "Paste Biography" or edit the bio file directly in c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistData\<artist name>.bio.dat.
Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:49:54 AM by kjesso

brainbent

That message is not set by MB - its the result from whichever provider MB retrieved the data from.
You can right click the artist bio panel (in the main application window not the Now Playing tab) and edit the text

To be honest, as I only switched to MB last week, I don't know how many of my tracks will have the problem... I don't mind editing if it's a small percentage!  :P

Ok I think I understand what you want. When that code is displayed in place of a missing biography it doesn't say something like "No biography found" and then give you an option to type one in manually, so it's more obvious, if that's what you mean? It sounded like you wanted to do this for many artists when you mentioned the "19.8k library". If it's just for a few missing biographies, you can either right-click where the error code is and select "Edit Biography", "Paste Biography" or edit the bio file directly in c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistData\<artist name>.bio.dat.

As a game dev, I guess it's seeing the code where it shouldn't be that I find most jarring... ::)