Author Topic: Unable to query AccurateRip?  (Read 828 times)

Jonathan

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
I have been ripping many CD's recently but just for one CD it says "unable to query AccurateRip". From there I can't even rip it manually as it doesn't even populate the tracks section.

This is only happening with one CD I've used - Hilltop Hoods - State Of The Art, if that is of any help.

Thanks for any help!

Cybershaman

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
I've had the same problem just now. I wonder what's going on? Is it an Internet thing or a software issue, I wonder. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread. Peace! :)
Speaking from the third eye of the society machine.

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 33300
It looks like there is a recent bug on the musicbee side. This should fix the issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Rojma

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
I am having the same issue with only one CD - U2's No Line On The Horizon. I am able to rip other CDs just fine. I am on the Windows store version 3.4.8033 so a newer version from the one in the above post that has a fix. The album and track names populate when I click on the drive, but when I right click on the drive and tell it to Rip CD, I get a message saying unable to query AccurateRip and only one track shows. None of the album or track information is populated. It does give me an Artist & Album Selector window, but none of the titles are the correct CD.


Rojma

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
I am having the same issue with only one CD - U2's No Line On The Horizon. I am able to rip other CDs just fine. I am on the Windows store version 3.4.8033 so a newer version from the one in the above post that has a fix. The album and track names populate when I click on the drive, but when I right click on the drive and tell it to Rip CD, I get a message saying unable to query AccurateRip and only one track shows. None of the album or track information is populated. It does give me an Artist & Album Selector window, but none of the titles are the correct CD.



Ok never mind. Looking at the screenshot I posted I figured it out. I have two optical drives - D: & E:. I had a DVD in D: and the CD I wanted to rip in E:. Even though I right clicked on the E: drive and told it to Rip CD, at the next window next to source: it selected D: instead of E:. When I manually changed the source to E:, it was able to retrieve the album and track info and I was able to rip the CD.

I tested some more with other CDs and ran into the same issue. In fact, if I had any disc in the D: drive and told it to Rip CD on the E: drive, it would always go to the D: drive. If I had another CD (instead of a DVD) in the D: drive, then it would retrieve the album and track info for the CD in the D: drive instead of the CD in the E: drive. This occurred despite having right clicked on the E: drive telling it to Rip CD from the E: drive. If I have no disc in the D: drive, then it does automatically go to the E: drive. Sounds like a bug where Rip CD is always defaulting to the first optical drive that has a disc in it.