Poll

Should I add Musixmatch Lyrics support?

Sure
19 (95%)
Nope
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Beenius - Genius for MusicBee  (Read 17344 times)

Redearth

Again I appreciate you taking the time to see if my "sample" tracks worked with your plugin.
@phred Thanks for submitting the 7 edge-cases. They were actually helpful, but trying hundreds of artists over hundreds of songs is much more helpful for actually testing a lyrics plugin.

This is a great plugin for generally properly-tagged songs. I think the main threat is Genius pulling it's support, but that's much less a threat than Genius simply... changing its URL.

The reason those songs worked is because Genius currently redirects a few songs like:
https://genius.com/paul-mccartney-got-to-get-you-into-my-life-lyrics
to:
https://genius.com/Paul-mccartney-got-to-get-you-into-my-life-live-1989-lyrics

It's tremendously unstable.

Supporting it for a while is fine, but as a moderator, it might be better to support longer-term solutions.
Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 10:39:01 AM by Redearth

phred

• Global Moderator
Supporting it for a while is fine, but as a moderator, it might be better to support longer-term solutions.
My "job" as a moderator has nothing to do with supporting, or not supporting, any solutions. All comments I make are mine alone. I vocalize support for what I like and works for me. And I will also vocalize my feelings for things within MB that don't work.

As a fellow user of MB, I would like to suggest to you that you stop "bashing" plugins that you don't like. If you're going to be critical of someone else's work, you're free to come up with a better solution. But don't start posting that "longer-term solutions" are better unless you're able to create that longer-term solution yourself.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

slonopot

I think the main threat is Genius pulling it's support, but that's much less a threat than Genius simply... changing its URL.

In case with my plugin it's not really a threat, Genius will have to either discontinue their Android app completely or limit APIs (which will be then overriden with using proper user authorization in the plugin).

Redearth

My "job" as a moderator has nothing to do with supporting, or not supporting, any solutions. All comments I make are mine alone. I vocalize support for what I like and works for me. And I will also vocalize my feelings for things within MB that don't work.

As a fellow user of MB, I would like to suggest to you that you stop "bashing" plugins that you don't like. If you're going to be critical of someone else's work, you're free to come up with a better solution. But don't start posting that "longer-term solutions" are better unless you're able to create that longer-term solution yourself.

Well, not true:
Thanks for this, I think.
I wanted to give this a try, but you really need to provide more information. There should have some instructions as to how to install and use.
(...)
At this point I have uninstalled it from MB and deleted the files I copied to MB's plugin directory.
Furthermore, I can't recommend this to anyone, especially those who are using the Lyrics Reloaded (Updated) plugin, since I have no way of knowing if it even works.

You were, honestly, a jerk, and someone who sounds like your opinion is so important it makes or breaks new plugins. Hopefully it's clear you don't.

Edit: In terms of your weird accusations, see my other posts. You're a moderator that not only doesn't take it seriously, you're actively harmful.
Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 10:52:44 AM by Redearth

Redearth

In case with my plugin it's not really a threat, Genius will have to either discontinue their Android app completely or limit APIs (which will be then overriden with using proper user authorization in the plugin).

I agree. I appreciate using this, and if some token issue occurs, it can be handled then.

hiccup

In Phred's many posts over many years he has helped hundreds of other MusicBee users.
Probably thousands, if you count the ones that read the threads and learned from them.
(Redearth also criticed Phred about his 'amount of posts'. But he has been retro-editing his post—as he has done before--so I thought to explain my opening sentence here)

Since you 'graced' the forum with your presence, you have made some 24 posts.
Pretty much all of them complaining and reproaching other members that actually put in the work and effort to create things and help others.

And you choose to continue whining and acting like a man-child.
You have completely ignored the advice and explanations that you have been given about what you could have done to actually help.

It also has been explained to you that your understanding of a moderator being somehow responsible for monitoring and reporting add-ons that are no longer maintained (or the developer maybe being on a hiatus) is completely wrong.

So you seem unable or unwilling to accept and understand what has been explained to you many times now.
And you also don't seem to have an understanding about how a forum and moderation usually works.

But instead of accepting your limited comprehension of things, and coming to the conclusion that it's probably you that's at fault here, acting like some nasty and childish troll, you now start making personal attacks and insults to other users.

In doing so you also keep polluting other user's threads with this continuation of whining and arguing.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish here exactly?

Helping others?
You are certainly not doing that.

Showing off some unpleasant ego?
Yeah that's going just fine.

phred

• Global Moderator
You were, honestly, a jerk, and someone who sounds like your opinion is so important it makes or breaks new plugins. Hopefully it's clear you don't.
Please explain how my opinion makes or breaks new plugins?  And while I can take your name calling, I suggest you don't do it with others. This is quite a civil forum and name calling will not be tolerated.

Edit: In terms of your weird accusations, see my other posts. You're a moderator that not only doesn't take it seriously, you're actively harmful.
Again, show me where I'm not taking something seriously and being harmful.

No, don't bother replying to me as I won't be reading any more of your rants posts.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Redearth

I feel bad for redirecting any attention away from this plugin.
None of what we said matters.

Highly recommend Beenius for a great lyrics plugin.

slonopot

Made an update today, included all the stuff we've discussed here and made some improvements I've found necessary for the plugin to get the best results. Get it here.

I welcome any discussion of this plugin and will try to help anybody out there having issues, but it's crucial to understand that this plugin works differently and won't fit everyone. I've made my job to clarify that on the first page with @phred, this plugin just won't be of help with his library and the approach to naming tracks in it. Again, I've made this plugin primarily to fulfill a sole purpose of filling my own library which is mostly rap songs as they reside at Genius since forever. You can't have an universal instrument when it comes to lyrics because there are thousands sources which has their limitations, LyricsReloaded is trying to solve this by allowing to configure all the regexes for the source, it works in a way that I don't find quick, efficient and proper. I find it easier to do it the way I do. If you know an Android or iOS app that can be used as a lyrics source (like Musixmatch) -- you're welcome to suggest it here and I'll see if it's possible to use it.

I won't merge Musixmatch with this plugin and will release it separatly later since it may have issues in the long run.
Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:06:02 AM by slonopot

slonopot

Added a small fix this time, the update is available here.

UPD: Had to push another bugfix, hope it's the last one for this release. Get it here.
Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:06:56 PM by slonopot

LazR

I personally do not see MusixMatch as a huge need. I am an editor on Genius and believe that their platform is much more through and advanced compared to MM; most of the time MM is just Genius copied while removing the [Chorus] tags.

Either way, thank you for the support and creation of the plugin, works amazing! Nice to have a dedicated backup in case LyricReloaded's way ever gets tanked by Genius

slonopot

I personally do not see MusixMatch as a huge need. I am an editor on Genius and believe that their platform is much more through and advanced compared to MM; most of the time MM is just Genius copied while removing the [Chorus] tags.

I don't see much need either but there are still some tracks in my library that can be updated with lyrics automatically the way Genius simply won't allow. For example, some tracks (here) has both artsts as one with an ampersand. There's no consistent way to get artists separately from Genius because they are filled in as a custom field. Musixmatch, on the other hand, does return the artists separately, which will allow to fill in the remaining blanks. Also, Musixmatch seems to be sorta "official" way for labels to release the lyrics (which is why you can see the same lyrics at Genius, MM is the source) -- they are more of a commercial solution that will probably have more hits than Genius if we take non-rap genres into account. Finally, I find it easy and fun for me to make a plugin and help those 10 dudes that will probably use it afterwards.

LyricReloaded's way ever gets tanked by Genius

It won't, Genius allows free usage (including API), dudes will just have to update their regexes every time there's a minor layout change. Musixmatch is greedy btw, but I've already have got it sorted out.

Redearth

Awesome @slonopot, I just now installed your updates. I've been using the first version of this plugin you posted back in May all the time, and it's been working wonderfully for me, but now you addressed all of the issues I encountered and it' seems pretty much perfect. You even added the logging I had requested! (which I honestly thought you had brushed off ;)). I should have checked back sooner.

I strongly concur with everything you said in Reply #23 on July 11. Beenius isn't meant to be a universal replacement plugin for all use-cases, but it does work exactly as described. And in my case, though I have a grown a huge library of over 60k songs across several genres, Beenius has been consistently working for me. It works with the vast majority of my library, and what I love is that if I do come across any missing or incorrect lyrics, I can simply add them to Genius, and then the changes are immediately available via this plugin. So it's a really nice balance where I get to contribute to the community and engage with the lyrics more closely. And that seems to be the point of a lyrics plugin to me.

Anyway, Beenius is my favorite MusicBee plugin, both from a usability side and a technical side. Thanks very much. I'm hoping more people will notice it.

Redearth

@slonopot: Actually one last request: Please add the readme with installation and activation steps back to the plugin page, along with the Github link to "read more". That would ensure anyone can get Beenius working easily, and you could still maintain the full documentation and configuration options on Github.

sveakul

Since Steven recently updated MusicBee to make it more compatible with running multiple lyrics plugins, I decided to give Beenius 1.3.2 a shot alongside LyricsReloaded 1.1.16.6, using MusicBee 3.5.8312 Portable.  Comments:

Check the Github site (https://github.com/slonopot/Beenius) for the most complete installation instructions--all of the files in the zip go directly into the MusicBee/Plugins folder.  You can leave the file "beenius.conf.template" named as-is and it will use the plugin's default settings which worked fine for me.  Removing the "*.template" extension "activates" the contents of beenius.conf so the default parameters inside may be altered by the user (see the Github site).

The plugin is easily selectable from the normal Prefs/Tags(2) lyrics section in MB and clearly differentiated from the LyricsReloaded Genius.  Running both at the same time produced no issues whatsoever.  So far, both Genius sources produce the same results, except that the formatting/sectioning is often different.  It does not interfere with LyricsReloaded finding results from its own various sources and using the "Search Next Provider" function.  Beenius does not add a source caption for itself but its results show as "GENIUS VIA BEENIUS" in Lyrics Source when right-clicking the panel.

A log file beenius.log is created in Users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/MusicBee (includes the "MusicBee" subfolder if absent) even for those with Portable MusicBee installs, as a result of being focused at "Install" versions of MusicBee.  The log remains populated after MB exits, but clears itself of its contents at the next start of MusicBee.

So, a great lyrics plugin that works as-advertised and without compromising existing sources!  Thank-you slonopot!

My two requests for the developer would be to create the log file inside the MusicBee Portable install directory to keep those completely portable, and to allow the option to show a source caption at the beginning of the lyrics display.
Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:17:18 PM by sveakul