Poll

Should I add Musixmatch Lyrics support?

Sure
19 (95%)
Nope
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Beenius - Genius for MusicBee  (Read 17348 times)

hiccup

I was curious about how the Beenius plugin compared to the LyricsReloaded plugin.
So I ran a set of 232 music files through both of them.

For the LyricsReloaded plugin I set the order of providers to be polled to:

- Genius
- Musixmatch
- Deezer
- Metal Archives

The Beenius plugin doesn't offer any tweaks or settings, so it was just a simple download and activate.

The results:

An additional observation:
Lyrics that were provided by Beenius showed all additional comments about the lyrics/music structure.
Such as 'intro', 'verse', 'chorus', 'refrain', 'instrumental break', etc. etc.

The LyricsReloaded plugin filtered all those out.

I'm not ventilating an opinion or a recommendation here.
I was just curious about how the two would compare, and thought the results might be interesting or useful to others too.

edit:

New results for Lyrics Reloaded after:
- updating to 1.1.17.0
- adding 'Genius (fuzzy)' and 'Deezer (fuzzy)' as 5th end 6th providers

Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 07:46:05 AM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for doing this, hiccup.

I'm assuming column B is Lyrics Reloaded, yes?

The fact that Lyrics Reloaded filters out the extraneous information makes it the winner for me. The ability to change the order of providers is another bonus.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

I'm assuming column B is Lyrics Reloaded, yes?
Well spotted phred.
That was indeed missing from the excel screenshot. That's added now.

sveakul

Since the Beenius plugin by design searches ONLY the Genius database, and not the 3 additional ones used for the LyricsReloaded plugin in the test, doesn't that make a results comparison problematic?

hiccup

Since the Beenius plugin by design searches ONLY the Genius database, and not the 3 additional ones used for the LyricsReloaded plugin in the test, doesn't that make a results comparison problematic?
I did the comparison like this just out of personal interest.
I have been using Lyrics Reloaded with these four providers, and was curious if I perhaps would be better off using Beenius.

DJC👽D

Very good job @slonopot

I have erased in my entire library the lyric tag and launched your plugin.

I have no more false lyrics and all is well formatted for me (with french punctuation).👏👏👏

And thanks to @hiccup for this comparison. It helped me a lot to test Beenius.
Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:09:19 PM by DJC👽D

sveakul

What I do is to add Beenius to the list of providers that LyricsReloaded already uses.  That became do-able recently when Steven tuned MB so it would not run into problems using more than one lyrics plugin at the same time, and I can confirm that now things run smooth as silk that way.  I have the Beenius source for Genius checked behind the built-in LR Genius, to provide a fall-back search in case the former and all the other LR sources come up empty.  95% of the time the built-in LR Genius gets the hit, and I prefer it due to the stripped "sectional names" formatting.  Occasionally, only Beenius will provide a Genius hit.

slonopot

@slonopot: Actually one last request: Please add the readme with installation and activation steps back to the plugin page, along with the Github link to "read more". That would ensure anyone can get Beenius working easily, and you could still maintain the full documentation and configuration options on Github.
I've changed the description one more time to make sure even complete retards will end up reading up-to-date instructions on Github.

My two requests for the developer would be to create the log file inside the MusicBee Portable install directory to keep those completely portable, and to allow the option to show a source caption at the beginning of the lyrics display.
Plugin is using environmental variables to get the /AppData/Roaming part and then appends /MusicBee/beenius.log. Steven should change the %APPDATA% variable for the portable process, you better ping him about this.
Could you please elaborate the "source caption" thing? An example would be nice.

I was curious about how the Beenius plugin compared to the LyricsReloaded plugin.
I've explaned earlier in this thread that it's inappropriate to compare LyricsReloaded to any other lyrics plugin out there, including mine. It's like comparing car and water because these both make sounds.

sveakul

Could you please elaborate the "source caption" thing? An example would be nice.
The option to put lyrics source at the top of the results;  in the example below, "Source: Genius via Beenius" would replace "Source: Deezer."

slonopot

The option to put lyrics source at the top of the results;  in the example below, "Source: Genius via Beenius" would replace "Source: Deezer."

Get the update here.

sveakul

Redearth

@phred and @hiccup are literally trying to be QA testers. This forum is now officially hilarious.

Redearth

@slonopot: Actually one last request: Please add the readme with installation and activation steps back to the plugin page, along with the Github link to "read more". That would ensure anyone can get Beenius working easily, and you could still maintain the full documentation and configuration options on Github.
I've changed the description one more time to make sure even complete retards will end up reading up-to-date instructions on Github.
lol, thank you so much. I'll stop pestering you to deal with the peeps here. I'm also gone now.

hiccup

@phred and @hiccup are literally trying to be QA testers. This forum is now officially hilarious.

And with this latest comment you have now proven to be nothing but an annoying and useless troll.

Redearth

So useless you always need to respond.

Skip over the point. Make it personal. Boring. Can't help but respond.

"Thanks for doing this, hiccup."
"Well spotted phred."
Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:44:30 AM by Redearth