Author Topic: Option: Remove "Delete from Computer" from Del dialog  (Read 658 times)

MusicBebe

On the dialog that comes up when pressing the delete key, I would like to remove the option to also delete the files from the computer. I would like to access the option to delete from the computer by having to press a modifier key in addition to the delete key, which is more the way Windows Explorer works when bypassing the recycle bin.

I use the delete key all the time, but I don't usually want to also delete the file itself. Problem is, if I do want to delete the file, and click that option, the next time I press delete, that option is still selected. And for me, that is too close to an accident waiting to happen. I'd rather not always be quite that careful about something so potentially destructive.

So I'd like to be able to suppress that option from the default dialog, and require a mod key to actually kill a file.

Thanks for considering!

Zak

• Global Moderator
Doesn't MusicBee already mimic Windows Explorer behaviour by moving deleted files to the Recycle Bin unless the Shift key is also held down?

I'm not sure tinkering with the dialog box is the correct implementation to address this need.

For one thing, it assumes you aren't removing files from a monitored folder.
If you do, the full confirmation text explains "The files are in a monitored folder and will be re-scanned unless delete from the computer.".
In that case there's probably no good reason to delete a file without also deleting it from the computer.

Possibly less confusing would be the introduction of some new hotkey entries:

File: Delete with prompt (i.e. what MusicBee does now, default to Del key)
File: Delete from Inbox/Library only
File: Delete from computer

Then the default delete action would still prompt the user as it currently does, but users could also override that behaviour with their own keyboard shortcuts if desired.

Though I'm not sure how that would work with the Shift key override already in place. :-\ It might work if there were separate entries for Delete to Recycle Bin and Permanently Delete, though that may make for too many deletey things.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Doesn't MusicBee already mimic Windows Explorer behaviour by moving deleted files to the Recycle Bin unless the Shift key is also held down?

Using Shift+Delete skips the dialog and moves the file directly the Recycle Bin.

I haven't tried it recently, but I believe that Ctrl+Delete will skip the dialog without deleting the file from the computer.

There's no option that I'm aware of to skip the recycle bin.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)