Author Topic: What music file format should I use when syncing music to my phone?  (Read 1914 times)

Madmaxneo

I ask this specifically because my car's system (Uconnect on a 2012 Chrysler 300) doesn't have Android auto on it and although Bluetooth connection works fine it never shows what is playing or any other info.
When I asked this question on a forum for my car one person said he can see some song titles and other info, but only for a few songs here and there. He believes it has something to do with the file format.
Does anyone know if using a different format would help have the data show up on my car screen?

phred

• Global Moderator
Does anyone know if using a different format would help have the data show up on my car screen?
It might. Or it might not.

I suggest you try different formats to see if you can find one that does what you want. Obviously it will depend more on what you car's player and/or bluetooth can support than on MB.

It's really a question for the car manufacturer or dealer.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Madmaxneo

phred

• Global Moderator
It's really a question for the car manufacturer or dealer.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Madmaxneo

I, of course, asked the car manufacturer but no response as of yet.
I was hoping someone on here might have had an experience with this.
Doesn't MusicBee offer two different conversion formats for phones? If I get the chance I might try and run one on each and then connect to the car to see if I can get one or the other to work.

phred

• Global Moderator
Doesn't MusicBee offer two different conversion formats for phones?
There are twelve.
Preferences > Devices > [select device] > Configure > Settings > on-the-fly conversion > convert to

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I don't have any hands-on experience with this, but some brief googling (to me) indicated that this is most likely an Android/phone manufacturer thing.
If I understand correctly you are using Bluetooth for the transfer?
I'm not an expert on Bluetooth, so I am only guessing that your phone will need to read the metadata from the audio file(s) and then carry that data over using the Bluetooth protocol to the receiver (your car stereo).
I have no idea if your phone/Android will try to read filenames or any sort of metadata format to do that.

But for as far MusicBee could be any factor in all this, you could try this:
Create a couple of different audio format versions of a music track.
E.g. a Flac version, an MP3 using ID3v1, an MP3 using ID3v2.3, and perhaps one that contains no metadata at all (but it having a proper 'Artist - Title' filename).
Play them to your car stereo and see if your car stereo displays track info for any of them.

If none of them work it's most likely an Android/Bluetooth/'your phone manufacturer' issue.

edit:
Out of curiosity I just fooled around a little bit with my phone and my bluetooth earbuds, and I found that when they are connected, you can change some advanced settings for the BT connection.
Perhaps fiddle around a bit with those? e.g. BT using SBC, apt-X, LDAC, or maybe check some other settings?
I have no idea if those would affect metadata, but it may be worth a try.

And maybe the (capabilities of the) music player you are using on your phone also plays a role here?
Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:00:20 PM by hiccup