Author Topic: Accessing Musicbee on Win10 local account  (Read 1541 times)

Bsnmate2

Hello Forum. Brand new member here. First off let me applaud the developers of this software. I have been playing with it and am enjoying it so far. I was using Groove and it did what I wanted until it didn’t. Musicbee seems to be much more intuitive, especially in recognizing and categorizing my albums. Mostly using FLAC and WAVE files. I am using Win10 (because I have to ) and try to use my local account as much as possible in order to minimize Microsoft’s data mining. However in my local account Musicbee is not accessible and does not show up in my apps. I’d like to know if it is possible to access Musicbee in the local account without some kind of syncing, or having to sign in to Microsoft account.
Sorry to say that I am stuck with Win10  (sure miss Win7) for the time being. Not proficient enough with Linux at this time to do a full migration away from the data thieves.

phred

• Global Moderator
What you're saying/claiming doesn't make sense. I have never had a Microsoft account and have been using MB for more than ten years.
Where did you download MB from?
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 02:10:00 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bsnmate2

Hello phred, and thanks for the response. I installed Musicbee from the Microsoft Store. Not sure what the version is because I don’t have my Windows machine on. You’ll have to educate me here. You say that you don’t have a MS account. What version of Windows are you using and how did you circumvent having to establish a MS account? With Win7 this was easy but nearly impossible with Win10. Created  a local account in Win10 in order not to have to sign to my MS account, but it limits me when trying to install software because it requires a MS pin which I suspect would link my local account to my MS account.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm on Win10. I don't remember the specifics, but during the Windows install there's an option to use (or create) an offline account. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll find it.

As for MB, get rid of the Store version and download the Portable (or the Installer) from the first forum topic. Get the 3.5 version. If using the Portable (highly recommended) put it in a non-Windows controlled directory. Something like c:\MusicBee. Once set up, get the latest 3.5 patch from my signature.

The Store version doesn't get updates nearly as often as the other two versions. The advantage to the Portable is that it's all in one directory. And it's err ... portable. Want to back up MB for use on another PC? Simply copy the entire MB directory to a flash drive and copy it to the other PC.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bsnmate2

Hello again phred and thanks for the reply.. After my initial post I uninstalled the Store version with Revo and downloaded and installed  version 3.4.8 from the Musicbee site. Did not see a version 3.5 offered. Checked updates and it shows a 3.5 beta offered. I usually pass on betas. Have been playing with downloaded app. It does not seem to be as intuitive with album art as the Store version, and I had to do a lot of assigning album art through EDIT. I have album art jpegs in all of my album folders in all of my formats. I keep my Music, Documents, Videos on sdxc and not on computer ssd, and the app did a good job of adding said music. Just had trouble with album art.
When I set up my computer initially I din’t know much about Win10 and did not know about the option to set up without linking to MS account. As I said I have since created a local account not linked to my MS account. However the local account does not allow me to install software without asking for a pin associated with my Outlook account which I won’t do.  Some of my installed apps do not show up in the local account and some do. Musicbee is one that does not show up. I would like to be able to use Musicbee in the local account but it might not be possible. If you are aware of a way to do this I would really appreciate some guidance.
Thanks again; Doug

phred

• Global Moderator
Technically all software is beta. v3.5 is as stable as v3.4 and it's got additional features and minor bug fixes. Just about all the seasoned users on the forum are using it. I've been using it since January.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36464.0
But if you feel better with 3.4 then that's fine.

I can't recall any mention here on the forum of someone not being able to use MB due to not having a Microsoft account. If some of your applications don't show up on your local account, I think it's time to take your issue to a Windows forum. I can't help you with that. Sorry.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
There is no requirement from MB itself for a microsoft account. If you download from the windows store, then that might be a policy microsoft has

Música

I've installed MB through the MusicBee website on both Win7 and Win10. My Microsoft account has never been involved on either platform.

phred

• Global Moderator
I've installed MB through the MusicBee website on both Win7 and Win10. My Microsoft account has never been involved on either platform.
The OP is using the Store version.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki