Author Topic: Is it possible to show the number of tracks for an artist in the explorer?  (Read 585 times)

Adson

In the library explorer (when sorted by artist) one can see the number of different albums for the respective artist.

I would like to see the number of tracks by this artist instead (or additionally) and wonder if this is possible somehow.

Sometimes it's more useful (for me) to know how many tracks for a specific artist are in the library than to see the number of albums only.

For example: "John Lennon (2)" can mean there are 100 or only 2 different tracks for the former Beatle in the library.

Maybe it ist possible to show the number of tracks for an artist too?

Thanks for your help  :)

Zak

• Global Moderator
In the library explorer (when sorted by artist) one can see the number of different albums for the respective artist.
It's not actually showing the number of albums specifically - it's showing the number of items below each entry in the list, which may or may not be albums, depending on the Sort By values you have selected.

For example, if I sort by Genre, the number next to the artist name isn't the number of albums - it's the number of genres I have assigned to them:

(Also notice that it shows five album entries here, even though there are only four, because one of them has two genres.)

So the only way to have it show the number of tracks for each artist would be to add a custom sort entry using a field unique to each track - like URL - and apply that:

Now it will correctly show that there are 46 RATM tracks in my library, but because it displays the URL, below the Artist level it is basically useless.

Other panels like the Column Browser can show the number of tracks per Artist though.
Bee excellent to each other...

Zak

• Global Moderator
Actually, I just realised that because you can group by virtual tags in the Library Explorer, you can get close to what you want.

Create a virtual tag called something like Artist (Track Count):

Code
<Artist> [<Artist Track Count>]
Group by that tag in the Library Explorer. sort by Album (or Album Artist/Album, like I have here) and turn off the Show Count option:

This even picked up three* extra tracks that grouping by Album Artist missed.

*On a side note, I'm not sure how reliable Artist Track Count is. This is showing me that I have 50 RATM tracks, although I only have 49 - the 46 shown before and the 3 extra compilation album tracks shown here.
Bee excellent to each other...

Adson

Thank you very much for your help and your explanations.

I will try with the virtual tags which I had not used before at all.  :)