Author Topic: Can the Custom Search window be made non-modal?  (Read 1588 times)

MusicBebe

It would be nice if the Custom Search window was not modal.

I am building a multi-rule custom search based what I am finding in the main window, and every time I add a new rule, my only options are are to cancel, or to proceed with the search, so I do the latter. But that refreshes the contents in the main view, so I need to start scrolling back to where I last was, as the refresh repositions the scroll. So I'd like to be able to keep the search window open, while I continue to scour for additional rules to add to it.

It doesn't seem like it's necessary that that window be modal. Though I can see how the default assumption is that one would proceed to run the search after updating the rules. But not always! :)

Thank you for considering!

Beezmann

I was just musing about the exact same thing in my thread! Here's the quote:

[A]ll this discussion [about logical operators in the search box] would largely be redundant if you could just dock Custom Search as a side panel or a persistent floating window, instead of it being an overlaying popup that completely blocks the use of the main browser when opened and automatically closes after every single search. Perhaps that's the one suggestion worth going with. Would that be difficult to implement, do you think?

Great minds think alike or what?  It seems like the biggest cost-effective improvement to improved searches to me, so I'd happily see it done. I wonder how difficult it is to implement, and–with MusicBee's single dev already up to his neck in work and requests–whether something like this could be added by a third-party via an addon.

Beezmann

I'm posting it here instead of a new thread, since it seems like a closely related suggestion:

If this ever gets implemented, I'd highly suggest making the Search & Replace window non-modal as well. It would speed up the process of renaming considerably, by allowing to make new searches and selections on the fly, instead of closing  the popup and reopening it. With the way it is now, even if you select the entire library, you still can't scroll through it to review what else needs renaming while the popup is open.

Sofocl

+1
If this ever gets implemented, I'd highly suggest making the Search & Replace window non-modal as well. It would speed up the process of renaming considerably, by allowing to make new searches and selections on the fly, instead of closing  the popup and reopening it. With the way it is now, even if you select the entire library, you still can't scroll through it to review what else needs renaming while the popup is open.
My request on this topic;
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=33585
Sorry for my bad English.

Steven

• Administrator