Author Topic: Basic questions about the library and paths  (Read 418 times)

MusicBebe

I've been very happy using MB for about a month but I realize there are some very basic things I don't understand. For example.....

What is the difference between adding items to the library using Preferences -> Library  -> Monitored Folders, and the folders that can be added via the File menu -> Scan folders for new files?

I've only used the one under File-Scan, and have left the one in Preferences empty. I did this because I thought I'd rather manually  refresh when I know there is a reason to, than have MB refresh either on start or continuously.

That worked well, and when I added or removed items from those folders and then reran the scan, and MB seemed to keep track of things well.

But I was finding items in the library that I thought I had removed, and that MB reports are not in the expected location, even though the path had been removed from the list in the File -> Scan window, and was never in the list in Preferences.

I also find that when I add paths in Preferences, I never see MB scanning those paths either on start or continuously, even after I've removed all items from the MB library leaving it totally empty, or when I've added files to the path that MB is supposedly monitoring.

I'm using a portable installation and have made copies of it so I can experiment freely. But I'm not sure what I'm seeing, or what I should be expecting.

If I seem confused it's because I am.

Zak

• Global Moderator
What is the difference between adding items to the library using Preferences -> Library  -> Monitored Folders, and the folders that can be added via the File menu -> Scan folders for new files?
There is no difference to how the files are added or where they end up. The only difference is that specifying Monitored folders means you don't have to do it manually each time.

I've only used the one under File-Scan, and have left the one in Preferences empty. I did this because I thought I'd rather manually  refresh when I know there is a reason to, than have MB refresh either on start or continuously.

That worked well, and when I added or removed items from those folders and then reran the scan, and MB seemed to keep track of things well.

But I was finding items in the library that I thought I had removed, and that MB reports are not in the expected location, even though the path had been removed from the list in the File -> Scan window, and was never in the list in Preferences.
Maybe I've misunderstood what you're doing, but if "the path had been removed from the list in the File -> Scan window", how will MusicBee know if any files in that folder have been deleted or moved?
Even if there are no new files, you would still need to include that folder to avoid having entries in your Library for files that no longer exist.

You could also check Preferences > Library > On startup check for updated or missing files to have MusicBee always alert you to missing files and keep things tidy that way.

I also find that when I add paths in Preferences, I never see MB scanning those paths either on start or continuously, even after I've removed all items from the MB library leaving it totally empty, or when I've added files to the path that MB is supposedly monitoring.
MusicBee won't tell you when it is scanning folders on startup, but should display a small status message in the bottom-left corner when it detects new files.
If you can't see any changes even after removing all files from a monitored folder, something isn't right but we'll need a bit more information to diagnose.
Are your drives local to your PC or on a NAS?

A screenshot of your Library settings might be useful too.
Bee excellent to each other...

MusicBebe

Thank you Zak! This was very helpful!

Confirming that the two ways of specifying library paths are the same, with the only difference being manual vs monitored, means that things were in fact working as they seemed to. I prefer to scan manually as needed, but wasn't sure if the way I was doing it had the same results as setting it up in preferences. I can see how the two could work together in useful ways.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you're doing, but if "the path had been removed from the list in the File -> Scan window", how will MusicBee know if any files in that folder have been deleted or moved?
Even if there are no new files, you would still need to include that folder to avoid having entries in your Library for files that no longer exist.

I didn't explain what I'm doing too clearly. Your questions in response were clarifying. Cool!

So using the File-Scan window, with a given set of paths, when I moved items from one place to another within that set, and then ran the scan, MB would list the files that were not in their expected location and ask if they should be removed from the library, and I would say yes. At the same time, those files would appear in the library at their new location. That all made sense.

What I also found, or think I found, is that if I remove a previously scanned path from MB's list, and then rescan, MB does not report any missing or misplaced files, or pathless files, and the files that were added from that path remain in the library as before. That was somewhat unexpected.

That then led me to realize that files can be in a playlist but not be in the library, if they are dragged directly into the playlist from Explorer. To get them into the library (and searchable by MB) they need to be added using the send to library command. So playlists can be used like the inbox in that way.

All very interesting...........

Zak

• Global Moderator
That then led me to realize that files can be in a playlist but not be in the library, if they are dragged directly into the playlist from Explorer. To get them into the library (and searchable by MB) they need to be added using the send to library command. So playlists can be used like the inbox in that way.
Yes, that would make sense. (Static) playlists are nothing more than a list of paths to music files on your computer, with no concept of your Library contents. So as long as the file exists in that location, MusicBee won't actually care if it's in the Library or not.

If you save them in .m3u format, you can open them in Notepad or any text editor to see exactly what's included.
Bee excellent to each other...